Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dario Gradi

• 25-10-2006 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Quite possibly the quintessential Mr. Football, I just have to post something on this legend before the game tonight. I've had the pleasure of meeting him on a few occasions and he is the most genuine and accomodating person I've met and never abuses referees or linesmen. Always has time for a chat with the fans and has an unparalleled interest in the well-being and image of his club. And it certainly is his club.

He's been in charge of Crewe of 1,197 games, stretching back over 23 years to the summer of 1983. He works up to 80 hours a week, hard to imagine considering most humans are only awake about 100 hours a week! He very very rarely takes a day off work, and coaches the under 14's on Sundays and goes to various other youth games on weeknights. Any time off he may have during the summer is dedicated to football, be it coaching or scouting etc... He has never married and has no children.

As of 2002, only one player had ever come to Gradi asking for a transfer and he views the progress that Crewe has made in terms of facilities as justification of their investment of time and money in youth. He is also famous for only having ever paid a fee to one agent in his time at Crewe.

Not only has the club churned out some great young players (David Platt, Geoff Thomas, Neil Lennon, Dean Ashton, Danny Murphy, Rob Jones, Seth Johnson, Craig Hignett and Robbie Savage) but Gradi has turned them from a side that was perenially bottom of the old 4th Division into a comfortable League One side, having been in the First Division/Championship on more than one occasion.

Ferguson on Gradi yesterday: "It's quite easy for me because I've got the motivation of being at a big club with big games every week but Dario has had to be there for over 20 years producing and selling players from his conveyor belt of talent. They've had to rely on that for financial stability but they've sold players time and time again and he still goes in every morning rebuilding. It's a fantastic job he's done, quite amazing. I'm sure he could have left Crewe millions of times so it just impresses me how lucky Crewe are to have a manager like him. He enjoys the challenge of producing young players and I think that is his main motivation."

Just a little something to think about while United are hammering them later on this evening... :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Hey Joe,
    At least i agree with you on something :cool:
    They always play decent football , unlike some of the rubbish/route 1 stuff that is sometimes played/needed to get out of the Championship and the lower leagues.
    Good guy with the right attitude to the game , and wont compromise his beliefs to play a Wimbledon/Watford style .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Tbh I know little of their playing style, but the length of his stay at Crewe alone is worthy of respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭c m

had a training session with him once. true pro and gave us a great session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Odd how a few of us have met him. I met him few years ago when Pats had Kevin Street on loan (i **** you not thats his name) And has been over a few more times worringly he was at a U21 game with Kerr to see 2 of our youths, with a view to signing them :(

Very nice guy tho.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

He was unlucky tonight. Crewe worked so hard. With some better finishing would have put us to the sword.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Just a little something to think about while United are hammering them later on this evening... :D

LOL Hammering??? LOL

Sorry couldn't resist, Fergie almost seemed sorry he had beaten them at the end, great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

irish1 wrote:
    LOL Hammering??? LOL

Sorry couldn't resist, Fergie almost seemed sorry he had beaten them at the end, great game.

I was being ironic. :)

Advertisement