Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving with no lights on?!

Options
  • 25-10-2006 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

what the feck? am i missing something ,but when it gets dark enough say around 7 to 9ish I see a lot of cars (mainly boy racers) who drive around with no lights on?!
    This a new thing?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

magick wrote:
    what the feck? am i missing something ,but when it gets dark enough say around 7 to 9ish I see a lot of cars (mainly boy racers) who drive around with no lights on?!
    This a new thing?

I find this hard to believe really
    Most "Boy Racers":rolleyes: that I see go around wiith lights on, inculding fog lights.

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

What do you see as the attraction of said "boy racers" to go around with no lights on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Boy racer idiots tend to go around with the parking lights and fogs combination even in pitch darkness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Most people I see with no lights on are.. jeeps.. puntos.. middle aged men.. lady drivers.. young drivers.. every single variable of driver you can think of.. I think it's in fashion, this is no kidding right but :
    On the way home the other night I met 4(four) cars in a row with only 1(one) headlight working, then I met one with both.. and the next yet again had 1(one) headlight out, are both headlights meant to work on certain models of cars when you have your heads dimmed ? I would have thought so. But to top it yesterday I saw Punto in Tallaght around 8:30 - 9, with both his headlights out.

People barely know who to indicate, let alone turn on their lights. Day light today it should be "Wipers on, Lights on"
    TK

NeMiSiS wrote:
    Most people I see with no lights on are.. jeeps.. puntos.. middle aged men.. lady drivers.. young drivers.. I think it's in fashion, this no no kidding right but :
    On the way home the other night I met 4(four) cars in a row with only one headlight working, then I met one with both.. and the next yet again had 1(one) headlight out, are both headlights meant to work on certain models of cars when you have your heads dimmed ? I would have thought so. But to top it yesterday I saw Punto in Tallaght around 8:30 - 9, with both his headlights out.

People barely know who to indicate, let alone turn on their lights. Day light today it should be "Wipers on, Lights on"
    TK

Seems to be more and more cars with only one headlight. It only takes 5 minutes and €5 to sort it out. Might have something to do the the newer halogen bulbs being put in by someone touching the glass. Grease from your fingers causes the bulb to heat more in that spot and eventually blow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I think it would be a good idea for manufactures to include auto lights on for future models whereby the lights activate themselves either when it get s dark or on continued usage of wipers.I have this on my car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

furtzy wrote:
    Seems to be more and more cars with only one headlight. It only takes 5 minutes and €5 to sort it out. Might have something to do the the newer halogen bulbs being put in by someone touching the glass. Grease from your fingers causes the bulb to heat more in that spot and eventually blow.

If you have a 2003 Renault Megane (like me) changing a front lightbulb involves a trip to the main dealer and the front bumber taken off. It also involves a cost of way more than €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Moanin wrote:
    I think it would be a good idea for manufactures to include auto lights on for future models whereby the lights activate themselves either when it get s dark or on continued usage of wipers.I have this on my car

My dad's car has that. Freaks me out sometimes.

They're quite smart.

joolsveer wrote:
    If you have a 2003 Renault Megane (like me) changing a front lightbulb involves a trip to the main dealer and the front bumber taken off. It also involves a cost of way more than €5.

I've never heard of anyone having to remove a bumper to replace a bulb. Does the headlight unit have to removed? Why can't it be removed from inside the engine bay? That has to be the stupidest design ever..makes no sense

joolsveer wrote:

Just found this on the Megane II owners club website http://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk

How do I change The Headlight Bulbs?
    Remove the wheel in the arch where the lightbulb is
    Open the bonnet and unscrew the black plastic cover from above the light mount
    Remove the little cap in the wheel arch to gain access to the light
    Unscrew the protection cap from the back of the mounting
    Before removing any lightbulbs, wiggle the back of the one you think is the problem and confirm by looking at the front as to which is moving
    CAREFULLY remove the metal clip from around the bulb by squeezing it either side of the bulb
    Carefully remove the wiring from the back of the bulb
    Take out the old bulb and insert a new one. It doesnt screw, it just sits - safely! Ensure it is square inside the bracket though
    Replace the clip around the bulb
    Add the wiring to the back of the bulb and test.

Sounds more like it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

There are a considerable number of 'drivers' out there who are utterly convinced that their car's lights are exclusively for illuminating the road ahead, and that using them when not absolutely necessary for that purpose is 'a waste'.

I deeply suspect that a fair number of them would be quite happy to drive around in complete darkness if they could afford the night vision equipment.

Muppets :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

magick wrote:
    but when it gets dark enough say around 7 to 9ish I see a lot of cars (mainly boy racers) who drive around with no lights on?!

I don't think it has anything to do with boy racers at all; as mik_da_man said, they take every opportunity to turn their lights on. I think it's just a case of people beginning their journey just before it gets dark (pretty much 90% of all commuters), and not realising how quickly it gets dark.

As has been mentioned, the amount of "cyclops" cars out there with only one working light is incredible.
    Moanin wrote:

That's a pretty cool feature, though I think I would just prefer some kind of notice that I should turn the lights on, rather than it doing it automatically. Or even just have them on all the time like Volvos. My previous car was handy because the headlights turned off when the engine was turned off, so I could just leave them on all the time and not worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Did this once (by accident mind!). Started journey in well-lit town, then onto dual carraigeway - still lit up - but once I came off the dual-carraigeway and no more street lights the change to complete darkness was almost instantaneous. Quite a frightening experience to be travelling at 50-60mph with no visibility whatsoever :eek: (and thats not even considering other drivers behind me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

magick wrote:
    I see a lot of cars (mainly boy racers) who drive around with no lights on?!
    This a new thing?

So thats 7 out of every 10 cars was a suped up boy racer car with no lights :rolleyes:
    Most boy racer cars try to stand out with loud exhausts & lights on 24/7 to make them stand out more.
    Great thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭tk123

maybe that gang craze is taking off here - be careful out there!! :rolleyes: I've done this a few times because i was so used to the lights on the bike that don't turn off!

Police officers working with the DARE program has issued this warning: If you are driving after dark and see an on-coming car with no headlights on, DO NOT FLASH YOUR LIGHTS AT THEM! This is a common Bloods gang member "initiation game" that goes like this:

The new gang member under initiation drives along with no headlights, and the first car to flash their headlights at him is now his "target". He is now required to turn around and chase that car, then shoot and kill every individual in the vehicle in order to complete his initiation requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

I've turned on Daytime Running Lights on my car since early last week. At this time of year you need lights on at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

NeMiSiS wrote:
    Most people I see with no lights on are.. jeeps.. puntos.. middle aged men.. lady drivers.. young drivers.. every single variable of driver you can think of.. I think it's in fashion, this is no kidding right but :
    On the way home the other night I met 4(four) cars in a row with only 1(one) headlight working, then I met one with both.. and the next yet again had 1(one) headlight out, are both headlights meant to work on certain models of cars when you have your heads dimmed ? I would have thought so. But to top it yesterday I saw Punto in Tallaght around 8:30 - 9, with both his headlights out.

TK

puntos are ok there lights probaly dont work anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

tk123 wrote:
    maybe that gang craze is taking off here - be careful out there!! :rolleyes: I've done this a few times because i was so used to the lights on the bike that don't turn off!

Police officers working with the DARE program has issued this warning: If you are driving after dark and see an on-coming car with no headlights on, DO NOT FLASH YOUR LIGHTS AT THEM! This is a common Bloods gang member "initiation game" that goes like this:

The new gang member under initiation drives along with no headlights, and the first car to flash their headlights at him is now his "target". He is now required to turn around and chase that car, then shoot and kill every individual in the vehicle in order to complete his initiation requirements.

This is an urban legend I have heard the same said about many cities and towns, including Dagenham in London (which is a bit rough so makes it more believable).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

E@gle. wrote:
    puntos are ok there lights probaly dont work anyway

Lights are one thing fiat has sorted better than most. You can leave your lights in the on position and never worry about them as they will be switched off with the ignition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Don't think any one group (bar the retarded) can be accused of this.

Driving home in the pissings of rain this evening, there were old, young, micra, mercedes and punto drivers (amazing their cars still worked!!) all with either no lights or parking lights on.

Yet another sign of poor driver education in this country.

Half the people on the road imho have no concept of what constitutes dangerous driving at all and get by more by luck than common sense and training.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Read today in a local paper about Mayo Co. Council launching a campaign to get drivers to use daytime running lights all the time during the winter months.

Well done to them, its a pity our government wouldn't make this compulsory as in other countries. But then, hey we know that they'd prefer to pay lip service about road safety rather than actually do anything useful....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Rovi wrote:
    There are a considerable number of 'drivers' out there who are utterly convinced that their car's lights are exclusively for illuminating the road ahead, and that using them when not absolutely necessary for that purpose is 'a waste'.

I deeply suspect that a fair number of them would be quite happy to drive around in complete darkness if they could afford the night vision equipment.

Muppets :mad:
    you mean you don't wear night vision googles in your car :eek: you money waster!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

Not even at night but in poor vis also. yesterday during very heavy rain and very poor vis on the m1 i almost drove straight into a black car with no lights on as i was about to merge into the overtaking lane, close but i was so pissed at the idiot for not putting their lights on, how hard is it to put your damn lights on anyhow???? You would think it costs money or something the way some people are with car lights.

Advertisement