Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEWS: "high-powered gun or catapult"

Options
  • 25-10-2006 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

WTF???

Just heard on the RTE news (http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1025/cork.html)-
    [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]Search follows series of incidents in Cork[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]

25 October 2006 12:05

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gardaí in Cork are hunting for a sniper who used a high-powered gun or catapult to open fire on at least nine properties and vehicles in Co Cork yesterday.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The three-hour rampage began at lunchtime in Kinsale where plate glass windows at the front of the Trident Hotel were fired upon.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Over the course of the afternoon windscreens and side panels on a number of vehicles, including a school bus in Innishannon, were damaged.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Damage was also caused to glass on the front door of a number of houses in Crosshaven, Carrigaline and in Togher in Cork City.[/FONT]
    A 'sniper' using 'a high-powered gun or catapult' to break windows???
    In a 'rampage', no less.

You know, sometimes I despair at the reporting of firearms related stories in this country :(

I mean, 'a high-powered gun or catapult'. What?
    That's like saying that someone was speeding in a car or a tank.

edited to add-

Just listened to the 1 o'clock news, and they've dropped the 'catapult' bit.
    It's still a 'sniper' with a 'high-powered gun', though.

I'll be utterly amazed if it's someone with a proper high power rifle, certainly not a legally held one.

Stupid muppet, whoever they are; giving the 'antis' more ammunition. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Probably someone with an airsoft gun, if they only damaged panes of glass...

I love the way Quinn Direct's ad saying they now offer windscreen insurance made it onto that page though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

a sniper who used a high-powered gun or catapult

Fer F' sake..
    Can somebody who represents a shooting organisation PLEASE contact those responsible for this crappy /uninformed reporting and explain how offensive this type of nonsense is to sportsmen and women..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Today FM are saying "air-gun", something tells me they were listening more closely to what the Gardai said.

Most times when I hear news reports on subjects I'm fairly well up on, I find them to be grossly oversimplified and usually containing lots of errors. Makes me think they're probably the same with every subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

After reading the article i felt i had to vent went on over to the news&media forum, dont know whether there was any point but hey i feel better!!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055007505

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

On the Joe Duffy show right now!

• Advertisement

What's a 'professional catapult'???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, my mate's Dealership had 2 large (9 m2) plate glass windows taken out yesterday, frightened his breakfast out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

might take a strole down to help with the narrowing down of possiblities

431037.jpg

or

sniper.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Guess they have to dumb it down,for the intellectualy challanged [aka THICK] out there.So they will have somthing to read after oogling the page three,the sport section and before hanging it up in the WC:rolleyes: .But then again dont expect much from all the Woodward and Bernsteins[NOT] that the Irish media has in its employ.

A professional catapult,is one more longer and experianced in the job than it's ameatuer colleuge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ned78 wrote:
    Well, my mate's Dealership had 2 large (9 m2) plate glass windows taken out yesterday, frightened his breakfast out of him.

Did he hear gun shots?? find the projectiles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

lol @ maglite's pics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

A professional catapult,is one more longer and experianced in the job than it's ameatuer colleuge.

Roffle :D

Extra information on the above link (http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1025/cork.html)-
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Describing the attacks as 'sheer vandalism', investigating gardaí at Bandon and Togher said they were random and opportunist, and it was fortunate that no-one was injured during any of the incidents.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Inspector Brendan Fogarty said they were carrying out forensic examinations and this would clarify the type of weapon used.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gardaí believe the culprits were travelling in a small dark-coloured car, and have appealed for witnesses to contact them.[/FONT]
    edited to add-
    Oh, and now it's-
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]an airgun or high powered catapult[/FONT]
    which makes a bit more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

*bleep* throwing stones tbh!

edit
    not allowed call em that eh.... members of the travelling comunity throwing stones then!

Advertisement