Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres less susceptible to punctures?

Options
  • 25-10-2006 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I had to buy 7 new tyres since March. 2 were replacing worn ones, 5 were punctures. At €160 a go this is painfully expensive. Is there a tyre make that claims to be less susceptible to punctures than "regular tyres"? Even if it cost more I might save in the long run. My seller says no but I thought I would ask anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

shayser wrote:
    I had to buy 7 new tyres since March. 2 were replacing worn ones, 5 were punctures. At €160 a go this is painfully expensive. Is there a tyre make that claims to be less susceptible to punctures than "regular tyres"? Even if it cost more I might save in the long run.

Unless the sidewall is damaged you don't need a new tyre everytime you get a puncture!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

WHAT!

That is unreal. Could the punctures not be repaired with some tar rope? are they side wall damage or what?

That is a serious amount of punctures...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What are you doing to those tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

2 split. One while hitting a pothole, the other was a slow puncture that I should have gotten fixed but it was very slow and I was getting away with topping up the air every 2 or 3 weeks. Then the last time I was inflating it, it blew up (even though it hadn't reached the standard pressure). The other three, according to the tyre garage, had multiple "little punctures" as if I went over spikes or something, according to him. He did try and fix them but after a couple of trips back, I had to get replacements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

shayser wrote:
    2 split. One while hitting a pothole, the other was a slow puncture that I should have gotten fixed but it was very slow and I was getting away with topping up the air every 2 or 3 weeks. Then the last time I was inflating it, it blew up (even though it hadn't reached the standard pressure). The other three, according to the tyre garage, had multiple "little punctures" as if I went over spikes or something, according to him. He did try and fix them but after a couple of trips back, I had to get replacements.

With luck like that I'd give the Lotto a miss tonight if I were you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

are you sure that no one is doing this to you? Five punctures seems alot. Strange to get multiple leaks in new tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

WTF !!!

What roads you driving on?

Regular tyres are plenty good. At guess I would say more than one puncture in 50000 miles or so would be very bad luck.

Maybe you should by them by the dozen and get a discount.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

What profile tyres do you have on the car? Are they 40s or something less.
    With the roads in this country and winter road conditions I wouldn't go less than 55, 45 at a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

seamus wrote:
    What are you doing to those tyres?

LOL maybe someone is borrowing your car at night and doing handbreak turns on a building site

ongarite wrote:
    What profile tyres do you have on the car? Are they 40s or something less.
    With the roads in this country and winter road conditions I wouldn't go less than 55, 45 at a stretch.
    Aye, they're 40s (Edit: actually, after rechecking, they're 45s).

maidhc wrote:
    Unless the sidewall is damaged you don't need a new tyre everytime you get a puncture!
    Believe it or not, I did get other punctures that I got repaired!

So, no manufacturer claims to have a tyre that are less likely to puncture than others? Or maybe there is a tyre that turned out to be better/tougher?

• Advertisement

Whats the tyre size/width?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

shayser wrote:
    Aye, they're 40s.

Believe it or not, I did get other punctures that I got repaired!

So, no manufacturer claims to have a tyre that are less likely to puncture than others? Or maybe there is a tyre that turned out to be better/tougher?

Only time I have got punctures is when:

- they tyres were baldy, or
    - when the car was being used where it shouldnt (driving through building sites, fields, that sort of stuff!)

Tyres are just bottom of the range 14" goodyears on a heavy enough ford mondeo.

I've just checked again and they are 225/45 17s. I'm pretty sure it's the roads. There are two routes to my house. One is a disaster of a road, potholes and loose chippings (stones) everywhere. The other is a long sequence of ramps. I hated the ramps and would always go the other way, going as carefully as possible. I've stopped going by the bad road now, so I'll see how it goes.

I was hoping that maybe there was a tyre that had something of a reputation for having a low percentage of punctures or maybe a manufacturer claimed that their tyre was better than others in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Does anyone else in your family/locality who travel these roads have similar problems?+

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Try pumping up your tyres to close to the recommended max pressure (as indicated on the sidewall). Comfort will suffer, but they might last longer.

Take care though not to put too much pressure in, as you want to ensure the whole thread (and not just the middle of the tyre) has contact to the road.

I have 225/45 R18's and have had one slow puncture in the last 6 months. Where I live is still a building site though. Puncture was fixed with a plug for €10

No manufacturer is better or worse than any other for punctures though

Advertisement