Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who pays - tenant or landlord?

Options
  • 25-10-2006 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    I did an (admittedly brief) search for this info, but if someone here can advise, that would be great.

I am a new landlord - at least I will be when I get a tenant.

A couple of basic questions about who should pay what:

1. Resident's Association annual fee for estate maintenance
    Me of course

2. Bin charges
    ???

3. TV Licence
    The TV is mine. I want to leave it in the house so tenant doesn't have to
    rent one. My TV, my licence? Or tenant's residence, tenant pays?

Many thanks.
    /M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Manuel wrote:
    Hi,
    I did an (admittedly brief) search for this info, but if someone here can advise, that would be great.

I am a new landlord - at least I will be when I get a tenant.

A couple of basic questions about who should pay what:

1. Resident's Association annual fee for estate maintenance
    Me of course

2. Bin charges
    ???

3. TV Licence
    The TV is mine. I want to leave it in the house so tenant doesn't have to
    rent one. My TV, my licence? Or tenant's residence, tenant pays?

Many thanks.
    /M.

Is it a private rented house?

Bin Charges - Tenant. The annual bin charge could be incorporated into the rent either, but make sure you advertise it as such.

TV Licence - I would say your TV, your licence. The tenant should have the choice as to whether or not they want a tv (more than likely they will) but leaving the tv there incorporates a cost. Have a talk with a prospective tenant on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

1. You
    2. Tenant, but it might be hard to stop them scarpering without paying for it
    3. I'd ask them do they want a tv and let them worry about TV licenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Best policy is to include the basics in the rent - if you include a TV in the house you include a licence (Basic TV's are so cheap these days anyway).

Refuse - if its a tag system let them pay but if an annual charge best you pay and add it to the rent - will keep the house cleaner.

Best of all - rent it through an agency, its worth the 10% or so that they charge and you're more likely to get a better quality tenant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Moved from Consumer Issues.

Advertisement