Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pheasant Shooting This 1st of November

• 25-10-2006 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

havent seen many phesants this year at all. doubt it will be a good year for phesant not around my area anyway

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

E@gle. wrote:
    havent seen many phesants this year at all. doubt it will be a good year for phesant not around my area anyway

I shoot near lands where they release thousands of pheasants every year for driven shoots.

We could easily shoot 2 dozen on the 1st if we wished but what would I do with that many birds???

I enjoy the 1st because it is a day off work with my dad and older brother, walking in the countryside and generally having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Probably the highest number of pheasants ever in my neck of the woods. We only release between 25-50 birds each year but the local stocks are well up with a fantastic years breeding.

The fact that we have hammered vermin over the past 2 years has to have helped! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I've seen a couple of hens lately but thats pretty much it.If anybody would like a pheasant-shooting pardner in the Dublin area,gimme a bell!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 PAIMEI

At the end of last season, Feb-March I was seeing a lot of birds which was encouraging, however I havent seen a cock pheasant in ages now. I said this to a fella at work and he said I said the same thing last year and last season was great. I think not seeing birds is down to a lot of the folage only beginning to die now and the fact that we've had no hard weather yet so they dont need to come out to forage for food. I'm hoping this is the case anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Terrier wrote:
    Probably the highest number of pheasants ever in my neck of the woods. We only release between 25-50 birds each year but the local stocks are well up with a fantastic years breeding.

The fact that we have hammered vermin over the past 2 years has to have helped! :D

nobody bothers to hunt vermin in my area is probaly a good reason

• Advertisement

E@gle. wrote:
    nobody bothers to hunt vermin in my area is probaly a good reason

With 200+ Mags, 200+ Greys and 192 Foxes in the last two years.. it has got to help breeding birds! This year's results should be even better with 6 larsen traps, 1 fox trap and 10 mink traps on the go!

Terrier wrote:
    With 200+ Mags, 200+ Greys and 192 Foxes in the last two years.. it has got to help breeding birds! This year's results should be even better with 6 larsen traps, 1 fox trap and 10 mink traps on the go!

i say ur club got a nice points score there

E@gle. wrote:
    i say ur club got a nice points score there

Still nothing compared to the 12,814 points a certain west galway club scored! :eek:
    55 Mink
    191 Foxes
    532 Grey Crows
    689 Magpies
    plus some pigeons\crows

seemed to be a lot more phesants that i thought around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Almost ran over a cock pheasent today,there are more dead pheasents on our roads than are shot somtimes methinks.Next to domestic Turkeys,pheasents must rate as the second dopiest bird ever.:rolleyes:

On the point of traps in general;what traps are legal to use here in Ireland??
    I know snares are and live capture.But what about deadfalls and jaw traps that dont have a pressure plate[IE a Gin trap],but are triggerd by pull,so that the vermin is within the jaws when it fires?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Pheasent are truly a dopey creatures, I got my first one around 7.30am this morning. The feckin eejit ran off the road into the hedge and then turned around and ran back out just in time to land a good headbutt on my bumper:eek:

last year near our shoot there was a pheasant who used to chase cars wheels everytime people would drive by. I don't know why he started doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Probably thought he was a dog:rolleyes:

As for pheasants ive seen about 4 around the house all young and only one cock but cant shoot them neighbours all over the place.

Ducks now thats a different story ive a small pond is all you'd call it that i shoot off in wicklow and ive seen around 40 ducks the last few times i was up. Just back from it actually only 3 rose off it and 3 fell back down to the ground;)

Vegeta wrote:
    last year near our shoot there was a pheasant who used to chase cars wheels everytime people would drive by. I don't know why he started doing it

Must have been crossed with a road runner.Road runners are known to do this out in AZ.And No they dont go beep beep:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Must have been crossed with a road runner.Road runners are known to do this out in AZ.And No they dont go beep beep:D
    Get away you big kidder you, the next thing you'll be telling us is that coyotes don't wear Acme rocket skates. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

have to agree with the larsen traps, very good. father make's them for local clubs and they do a great job in catching the grey's, magpie's... hate the magpie's little ba"t*ds... the fox's also need a culling over the year as they do alot of damage.. was out yesterday and we got 9 pheasants, should have had a few more, but at least we know they will be around again .......

chickens are dopier than phesants

yeah i went out on the first and we only got 7 compared to 16 last year.

One of the birds i shot i damaged pretty badly, which i was pissed about, should have let him out more.

Forgot to bring the camera again otherwise we'd have photos

Our dogs are very very young and after 4 hours were completely useless due to being tired, their first seasons out (our own fault for not building up their stamina) so even though we'd see birds run to cover the dogs just would not flush them out.

we met at least 25 cocks and about 80 hens.

will hopefully bag a few more at the weekend

not bad going vegeta

E@gle. wrote:
    not bad going vegeta

Cheers, it was a weird day to be honest. Started very well, met two birds in the first field we stepped in to but a combination of, tired dogs, bad shooting and grumpy hungry hunters put a blemish on an otherwise fabulous day.

The weather was class, we took home some pheasant and i had the day off work.

Like about 4 years ago when my brother was living at home with me we went 2 seasons without even seeing a bird.

Since he has gotten married and moved to better pastures I cant believe how good the pheasant shooting is up around him.

we are very lucky like that

• Advertisement

just got 2 more, some pheasant breast for dinner me thinks

Was out today heard plenty of them,saw amd shot none.But what a smashing day weatherwise out.:D

Was out today heard plenty of them,saw amd shot none.But what a smashing day weatherwise out.:D

weather seems to be very good this year for shooting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

Just back from a little walk (bunny reconnaissance :D ) & was surprised by the number of pheasants I rose.

15+, both cocks & hens. Loads out hunting in the area too, a great day for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

Sunday was my first day out. Mixed day of events... rose about 15 birds. Wounded one bird on a ditch and couldnt get to it. The dog lost interst in the scent and there was nothin more i could do but leave it behinde. I was so sick with myself i didnt fire at another phesent for the rest of the day:(

Its the one thing really hate is loosing a bird like that...

Other than that tho it was a good days hunting...

Advertisement