Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcastle Skatepark, Co. Down

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭boarderco

i be surprized if people dont head up to newcastle!
    its a pretty sick little park, hard to skate if its busy
    but its usualy not too bad. its only a 2 hr drive, fiver a head for petrol
    and away ya go.bring a lid with ya just in case and some sterling!
    givem a ring if ya need directions but its pretty easy,
    thead for newry, get load in its one way streets and out the other side for newcastle, or theres the coast road way but its much the same.
    details on the link below!
    happy skating n jahbless
    wg
    http://www.boardercoeire.com/Blog/06...337F68C93.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

I'd be up for that definatly. Only thing is I work weekends!!! Most people probably want to go at weekends???
    Anyways I'll be driving next month so might head up then.

And Chong can you drive or where you thinking of renting a coach/bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chong1

Yeah i drive man.

During the week is better. No kiddies. I can get the afternoon of work or summit, i'm sure we can sort out somethin out. I've never been up, looks pretty ramp and rail styley. Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Chong wrote:
    Hey, any1 wanna head upto newcastle indoor skatepark? Supposed to be pretty cool. organise a trip of southern skaters to go up for the day or summit?

Check out the link for a pic.

http://www.boardercoeire.com/Blog/0624F448-5332-457B-8888-77F337F68C93.html
    Is that inside a church?!

must be a old church of some kind yeah, looks pretty sick i think!

• Advertisement

Yeah the park looks great! Where you based Chong? I'm in south dublin near Dun Laoghaire.

well from i'm originally louth, lived in dublin first year in collage, across the road from dcu, then moved to england for two years, now i'm back in ireland workin in dundalk. its soo fu*kin sh1t up here compared to leeds and dublin. No body skates, most people are your average fu*kin trendyboy/chav/scumbag/idiot 's, in my eyes narrow minded twats. And when they see you skating, they're like 'look at that skater boy', man it irriatates so much. In sayin that i've got a sh1t load of good mates that aren't like these god forsaken people. Whats the craic up in dublin these days. Good laugh?

Yeah its good..lately. With all the new skateparks opening up skating is getting the recognition it deserves. Most street spots are still a bust. Well near where i live anyway. We still have closed minded idiots here of course! Sure isn't the world run by them! haha
    If i cant get to a park i usually just skate my mini. Bushy is good though, well worth a trip, if you like skating bowls. There are some cool people there as well. Skaters of all ages/styles/ability. Lucan is ok but a bit small. But it is 'crete as oppose to modular.
    The worst thing to happen lately is the closure of ramp 'n rail, that was a good spot, indoors too, which is just what we need for the coming months.
    Ken

Ps just did a quick google on it and found this:

Fifty Six Indoor Skatepark
    56 Main Street, Newcastle Tel: 028437 25556
    Indoor Skatepark - bring you own board - helmets and protective gear must be worn and can be rented or purchased. Skate school for novices will be run at weekends.

Open: 4.00pm - 9.00pm Wed, Thur & Friday evenings
    School & Bank Holidays: 3.00pm - 8.00pm
    Cost: £10.00 for 5 hours.

aw man, r'n'r was the business, always sweet tunes on which buzzed me out. I've never really skated a bowl. I skated the bowl in amsterdam for like 20mins, but as u can imagine i wasnt really fit for to much skating that day. must check it out, try over come the fear of absolutely nailing myself on concrete!!

And found this pic as well

• Advertisement

i think i'll head up there on monday, no work happy days! it'll be packed with kids tho. If any1 one wants to head up, i'll be leavin from dundalk, not exactly dublin...soz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 will_c

this park looks sweet
    inside a church is a nice touch.

So Chong did you make it up on monday? If so whats it like? Is it just what we can see in the pics or is there more??
    Later
    Ken

yeah man, made it up, just about! Had a ****in rough nite on sunday so i didnt get up there till late, only got about 2 hrs skating, which was loads. Its pretty cool, some nice lines, the funbox rails were really good fun. Just reminded me of r n r! The gut was tellin me that they do a skate school at the wkends, which i thought was pretty rad. U should def go. Headin to manchester tonight, gonna try find a park over there while i'm visiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

Thats why its so R&R-style;)

Its a shame that R&R is no more.
    With the new parks finally comin onstream, one thing we're all gonna miss is an indoor spot for the winter.
    Fair play to Frank & co for hangin on so long
    R.I.P.

See yez in Bushy
    - its sunny!

JohnBoy

Your probably in Manchester by now but hey...
    A good site for the UK is www.sk8m8.com. They have all the UK parks listed and I mean ALL. Even the sh1tty little flat pack council ones.
    If you have Google Earth you can download a file from that site that will pinpoint all the parks with great accuracy. Then switch on transport and roads and your sorted. You can even print the screenshots for maps to take with you.
    I'm heading to London next week and its what I've been using to source parks near to where I'll be!

On a much more somber note... RIP RnR!!! Didnt know Frank that well but anytime i went there he was cool. Maybe he can take care of bushy????? He'd make sure we'd get floodlights, a sound system and a roof!!! :D:D:D

JahEerie wrote:
    Thats why its so R&R-style;)

one thing we're all gonna miss is an indoor spot for the winter. JohnBoy

isnt ramp city still goin?

yeah i think ramp city is still goin, i havent been there in a couple of years, didnt think much of it at all. Very bmx orientated rather than for a skateboarder i found. Any1 been there lately? Is it worth goin to it for a skate?

Kenjd wrote:
    Your probably in Manchester by now but hey...
    A good site for the UK is www.sk8m8.com. They have all the UK parks listed and I mean ALL. Even the sh1tty little flat pack council ones.
    If you have Google Earth you can download a file from that site that will pinpoint all the parks with great accuracy. Then switch on transport and roads and your sorted. You can even print the screenshots for maps to take with you.
    I'm heading to London next week and its what I've been using to source parks near to where I'll be!

Yeah man, didnt manage to go skating in mancchester, but i went to an indoor one in leeds called the works or summat. It was brilliant, really good park, got several mini ramps, a huge bowl with a spine into a half pipe, and two massive street sections. Amazing! I went during the day, so it wasnt busy, got to share the whole park with about 5 other lads for the whole day.

That sk8m8 site is pretty fvckin cool!

hey chong.
    Yeah sk8m8 is good and did you check out the google earth thingy....way cool. I've heard of the Works in mags an' sh1t, skater run as well, very cool spot. They have comps there often. I'd love to skate that bowl.
    Off to Londinium in the morn, bag , pads and board are packed!!! Yipeeee
    :D:D
    Going to oxford as well, hopefully i'll get to visit SS20 which is run by the legendary Sean Geoff, anyone familar with the 80's will remember him!! There is an outdoor sk8 park in oxford as well as a cool under vert bowl(built circa 1990) a few miles outside of oxford! Botley bowl its called! Hope the weather holds up!!!

• Advertisement

Oh yeah chong,
    Was there any halfpipes in the belfry?? Not great on street myself!!!!
    Later

Yeah Ramp City is still open. Never skated it but was there karting a while ago! Apparently there are a bunch of older skaters(30+) who meet up there every sunday morn bout midday for a session. Meet a guy in bushy who told me about it(hey Scott), seems like a nice idea on a sunday morn.....provided one takes it easy on a saturday night!! hahhaha as if........:D

Kenjd wrote:
    Oh yeah chong,
    Was there any halfpipes in the belfry?? Not great on street myself!!!!
    Later

Belfry? Wats that about?

I'm down with that sh1t dude, same goes, i just love pumpin round a park, ollieing as high as i possibly over everything i possibly can, well good fun!

i thought the name of the skatepark or the church was the belfry?????
    Anyway...hope to make it up there soon. In london at moment, going to bay sixty6 in the morn!!!!

Dude, How'd it go. Fu*kin sick i bet?

great!! Just back to my mates house now! Cool mini bout 30 feet long 6 foot high, a midi and a full size half pipe and a street course the size of a football pitch! Some really good skaters there!!! Guys getting big airs and sh1t!:D
    Hopefully going to meanwhile gardens tomorrow!! Gotta go and drink some beer now!!

And only 3 pound to skate for 5 hours!!

i'm going to ramp city on sunday, gonna check how it is now!
    anyone else wanna come along for a session?

will_c wrote:
    i'm going to ramp city on sunday, gonna check how it is now!
    anyone else wanna come along for a session?
    (im quoting this coz it wudnt let me edit it)

yeah ramp city aint amazing.
    it just seems...messy.
    i cant quite put my finger on it but its not amazing.
    and the lack of rails annoyed me a lot.
    went back to lucan after ramp city, i havta say that park is much more fun to skate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

There's somethin 'messy' bout Ramp City alrite
    - not just that, but I think it doesn't really feel like a skatepark- Imho.

In contrast, Ramp & Rail (R.I.P.) always had a great vibe.
    Maybe its down to the people who run it - or even the 'locals' who create the atmosphere, but I think there's somethin not quite right in Santry.
    Anyway, unfortunately Ramp City is the only indoor park in Dublin,
    so we don't really have a choice.

Bottom line - skate it if ya wanna
    Don't if ya dont :D

JohnBoy

Advertisement