Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ericom bb opeing up ports on router

Options
  • 25-10-2006 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

i heard it is possible to do this to get faster download speeds.

how is it done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
    Choose your router model from the list. On the next page choose the application/torrent client you're using and follow the instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

kk thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭xbox360dublin

how exactly can this increase you download speeds, surely the max you can download is the max and you cant increase it

how exactly can this increase you download speeds, surely the max you can download is the max and you cant increase it
    If you don't have the correct ports open the router will block most or all incomming connections. For example, on a 2meg connection you may only be downloading at 50kB but with the correct ports open and forwarded to the torrent client, you could, theoretically max out your connection at 220kB.
    All that doesn't matter if you're connected to a badly seeded torrent. Your speed will still be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

I know I have tried this, but the problem I ran into was that I couldn't assign a Static IP address. I am pretty new to this Broadband stuff (access in work used to be more than enough) but from a little diggin around it looked like only business users can get Static IP Addresses.
    Anybody actually tried this and got it working. Would be very interested to find out how ye got on with it.

• Advertisement

Dacelonid wrote:
    I know I have tried this, but the problem I ran into was that I couldn't assign a Static IP address. I am pretty new to this Broadband stuff (access in work used to be more than enough) but from a little diggin around it looked like only business users can get Static IP Addresses.
    Anybody actually tried this and got it working. Would be very interested to find out how ye got on with it.
    Thats a public static IP address, assigned by your ISP, you're on about and that's not needed. You may need to assign your PC a private static IP addresses on your own network although it usually works without doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

OK,
    Have very little idea what any of that means. Really haven't got a clue about networks. Spent too much time designing GUIs

I have tried following the instructions on PortForward site and everything seemed to go ok. It was only when I tried to confirm that the ports were forwarded using the speed test inside Limewire that it said the ports weren't forwarded correctly. Now because I know feck all about this, I don't even know how to troubleshoot and find out what is wrong.
    The only thing I though was strange was that when I got all the info from ipconfig /all there was no secondary DNS entry, so when filling in the info in the TCP/IP config I left it blank. Don't know if this makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 speedloafer

im having a problem with this too. i can get to the static ip address I got the dns numbers from the eircom site. but when i have to enter my ip address in the browser i just get a "this page cant be displayed". Any help would be a gift these download speeds are terrible on the torrents and I have tweaked the torrent settings every which way. But it still says my port is not open properly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

"Port forwarding" just means telling your router to allow traffic on a certain port and to pass it on to a machine in your network that has an application on it, waiting for data to come into that port.

All internet (IP) traffic has a port assocuated with it, it's just invisible to the casual user (much like the 4-stoke cycle of an engine is invislble to the casual driver - in both cases the browser/email client / motor car works as expected, so no need to delve into the inner workings of it).

Getting back to ports; your browser works on port 80, your mail client on ports 25 and 110. It just means that if you're surfing at the same time as downloading your email, your brower ignores your email traffic, and your email client inores your web pages, so both applications can work independently.

The device that your internet connection is on has two addresses - its public address (given by your ISP) and a private address that's visible on your network. Even if you have just a single machine connected to a DSL modem there are two devices in your house and they are connected over a network. Each device on that network must have an address (which must be unique). This is known as its IP address.

To find out the "IP" address of a PC, the easiest way is to go to a command prompt, and type ipconfig

This will list out a bunch of numbers like the following:
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

The Default Gateway is the IP address of the device that is connected to the internet.

Don't worry about DNS server entries if you're using a Netopia - they're usually preconfigured. Also, if you have a router, it normally will give all machines connected to it an IP address automatiacally. I'm assuming that since you're able to post here, your connection itself is fine.

As for downloading torrents, I use Azureus, and you just need to know the (internal network) IP address of the machine that it (azureus) is runing on.

You can just pick a port number at random (say 52580, basically anything over 5000 (but less than 65535) is fair game, as it is unlikely to be used by any other application).

Go into your router's configuration page, and tell it to route both TCP and UDP traffic coming in on thte port you picked above to the machine that has the Azureus client on it. In the Netopia world, this means you need to set up two "custom services" - one for TCP and the other for UDP. If you don't do both, Azureus will still think you're firewalled.

Lastly, you tell Azureus what port you'd like to communicate on (the same one you picked above).

Having full incoming and outgoing connections for torrents means you can connect to many machines at once, thus downloading your files faster. If the client can't connect properly to the swarm / tracker, then you won't get as good a speed. (As mentioned above, there has to be a good few others to connect to, or your speed will be slow no matter what).

The instructions for port forwarding are at the link in one of the posts above, and googling "wiki" and "Azureus" will tell you all you need to know about setting it up.

I hope that helps. it's past my bed time :)...zzzzz

Thanks yakuza, my problem seems to be getting to my routers config page, I use a netopia 2247nwg. I was following another site and i seem to get stuck getting to configure my router. One site says i have to set up a static ip address(which i have done) and then enter the ip address in my browser and i should get there, but when i enter the address i get no where:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Universal Plug and Play was designed for people who haven't a clue how this stuff works, and don't necessarily want to find out.

While the purists will throw their hands up in alarm at the suggestion that you should enable UPnP support on your router, the risks appear to be more theoretical than real, at this point. So just turn it on, and tell your torrent client to use UPnp - it works in uTorrent, and is supposed to work in Azareus, AFAIK.

(It's on the same menu in the netopia 2247nwg as all the port forwarding stuff).

cheers foxwood, but i think i have the soloution, i got to the config page and did the whole port thing i downloaded azerus and tested the port it was still down the i went to the firewall on the router and i disabled it and hey presto port is fine, i then set the firewall to low, it was on medium and i still got a clear but back to medium and i have a nat error. So heres my dilema do i put the firewall to low or even off? I have a firewall on norton so do i need the router firewall? Ill wait for some feedback to see what the craic is.

Advertisement