Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on video card power requirements

Options
  • 25-10-2006 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello all,
    I'm looking to upgrade my year old Dell Dimension 9100's video card from an ATI X600 256MB Hypermemory to a GeForce 7900 GS 256MB.

My first question is, is it worth doing?

My second is, will my 375W power supply be sufficient as most manufacturers' specs suggest a 400W PSU to run the card. I currently have 2 optical drives and 2 HDDs ,nothing else fancy. I was wondering does anyone have any experience with doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

so you have a free pci-e slot on your mobo?

the 7900gt would use up to about 150-200 watt and would need to be powered directly from your psu via a pci-e cable

375w psu would work but it is low.
    A new PSU would sort you out something around 500-600watt
    600 watt would future proof you but then your rig is probably not that upgradable but it is definitely worth upgrading to a 7900gt if you can pick up a 450 watt psu from boards you'd be in business

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BigP

stevejazzx wrote:
    so you have a free pci-e slot on your mobo?

the 7900gt would use up to about 150-200 watt and would need to be powered directly from your psu via a pci-e cable

375w psu would work but it is low.
    A new PSU would sort you out something around 500-600watt
    600 watt would future proof you but then your rig is probably not that upgradable but it is definitely worth upgrading to a 7900gt if you can pick up a 450 watt psu from boards you'd be in business
    Yes, I have a free pci-e slot. And it's the 7900gs I'm aiming at.

Ideally I would like to get a more powerful card and new PSU but from what I've read, there seem to be many issues with upgrading a Dell PSU. That's why I've gone for a mid-range card in the hope that my puny 375W will support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

7900 gt/gs little difference

does your psu have a spare pci-e power cable?

what is your processor?

375 should be enough

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

always seem to undervalue a bit though

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BigP

stevejazzx wrote:

does your psu have a spare pci-e power cable?

what is your processor?

375 should be enough

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

always seem to undervalue a bit though
    Thanks stevejazzx.

I used the PSU engine and it says that my current system uses 274W and an upgrade to a 7900gt/7900gs/7950gt would bump it up to 314W. I take it then that this would be OK?
    I don't have a dedicated spare pci-e power cable but it would appear that the cards come supplied with a twin molex to pci-e connector.
    Oh, and the PSU has 2 12V rails, 12VA and 12VB. Both have individual amps ratings of 18A and a combined of 30A. Does this help?

Any advice would be welcome before I buy one and possibly fry my PSU or worse!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

stevejazzx wrote:

the GT would be a good bit better than the GS but im sure moeny is a factor and the GS is just Cheaper

• Advertisement
Advertisement