Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Oxide build-up in Radiators

Options
  • 25-10-2006 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi,

Had guy from Bord Gais out this morning for a probem with the heating. Anyway he endded up bleeding some of the rads and this black stuff came out. He said it was iron oxide which overtime will build up and could cause the pipes to burst !!

Whats the story with this, has anybody else experienced this. Is it a big / expensive / urgent problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi,

Had guy from Bord Gais out this morning for a probem with the heating. Anyway he endded up bleeding some of the rads and this black stuff came out. He said it was iron oxide which overtime will build up and could cause the pipes to burst !!

Whats the story with this, has anybody else experienced this. Is it a big / expensive / urgent problem?

Hi Rockdrummer
    Firstly I'm not a plumber, so any professionals out there can feel free to correct me......... if I'm wrong....but I don't think I am.
    Secondly, I Know I'm paranoid, but this smells....someone looking for work, possibly named Rooster Cockburn
    That "black stuff" coming out of rads is GOOD. It is water with chemicals, chemicals designed to stop " iron oxide" forming inside Radiators ('cause they ain't made of copper but steel)
    Iron oxide is commonly known as RUST And if it did build up in system, It would be more likely to block rads and clog pump long before it burst a pipe, if ever
    A second opinion urgently required and get a look at his union card( to make sure this guy is a plumber)
    Hope this helps
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Hey Tapest, thanks for your reply. This guy was from Bord Gais and he wasnt touting for work, he advised to get a heating installation company to take a look. But I will definitely will get a second opinion now. He was saying that it could cost up to €1000, so if what your saying is true then I could save myself alot of money.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Hey Tapest, thanks for your reply. This guy was from Bord Gais and he wasnt touting for work, he advised to get a heating installation company to take a look. But I will definitely will get a second opinion now. He was saying that it could cost up to €1000, so if what your saying is true then I could save myself alot of money.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Thanks again.

R/D
    You could always use chemicals, bought in most "B & Q" type storesto "FLUSH" system, but it could do more harm than good and move any existing rust to form blockage / jam pump.
    But honestly I wouldn't bother. Unless your system is very very very old. If your heating is OK now, there's probably nothing wrong with system. What was original problem with heating ?? € 1000 I needed a good laugh. Don't be a fool or taken for a fool.
    Anti - rust chemicals are supposed to be replaced / topped up every few years...but nobody ever does. Only if you had the system completely drained a couple of times and the water looks like water and not black, then then you may consider replacing chemicals. If your system is not closed / sealed it's a matter of emptying tin into Small heating header tank, possibly part draining system first.
    If you're even tempted to pay out send me your address and I'll be around with a list of absolutely "must do " jobs, no matter where you live in the country....€ 5000 to check the angle of your roof is within limits, € 1000 to measure how thick your walls are, € 2000 to check the operation of your internal doors, external doors will cost more ( just how much can you afford?). I'll even measure your back yard or weigh your rubbish for only € 500.
    To Quote N. Edwards...Deal or no deal????
    t

Advertisement