Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Gear Shifts

Options
  • 25-10-2006 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

When I'm cycling I get random gear shifts for no apparent reason. It's a 2 month old bike with 27speed Shimano Deore gears and I only use it 2 to 3 times a week for an easy commute so I don't think it should be suffering from wear.I went for a ride today and the back dérailleur was going nuts ,it kept doing these random shifts and skipping which completely threw my rhythm especially going up hills. :(

Any ideas how to stop this happening would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

cozmik

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

You need to adjust your derailer. It usually is OK but cables can strech causing it to lose alignment. Either take your bike to the shop or spend a few minutes learning this useful skill yourself:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I am in the same boat, about 1 month old, deore xt back deraileur, I have the same bike as you, a dawes 601 discovery. Just needs slight adjusting, it can be done on the derailleur or at the handlebars, little plastic things to turn, where the cable enters. This is perfectly normal on a new bike as the cable stretches. Try 1/4 turn at a time, and remember which direction you are turning!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

As far as I recall most new bikes need a service after about a months use. After a months use the bike's bits and pieces have settle/stretched and they can then be set up correctly into a set up that they'll stay in.

Advertisement