Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

loud music while driving

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

peasant wrote:
    On a more somber note:

There was a study done in Germany years ago that showed that some of the (sadly typical) late night / early morning crashes were actually caused by loud music.

Young people, having been to the disco/nightclub, having listened to loud music all evening would then get into their cars (perfectly sober!!) and crank the stereo up to the hilt, to prolong the good athmosphere from the nightclub just another bit along the road.
    So they'd be partying rather than driving ...often with lethal consequences.

I'm curious if they checked for other substances besides alcohol. After all, you'd have to be off your head if you were listening to Scooter all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

peasant wrote:
    On a more somber note:

There was a study done in Germany years ago that showed that some of the (sadly typical) late night / early morning crashes were actually caused by loud music.

Young people, having been to the disco/nightclub, having listened to loud music all evening would then get into their cars (perfectly sober!!) and crank the stereo up to the hilt, to prolong the good athmosphere from the nightclub just another bit along the road.
    So they'd be partying rather than driving ...often with lethal consequences.

I too remember reading of a similar study that showed a direct link between the style of music being played and the overall average speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have to admit I usually have the CD player turned up pretty loud.

In the morning driving to work on the N3, it's usually club/dance music - helps put me in a good mood so that by the time I get in, and one can of coke later, I'm ready for the day (plus at this stage it's expected in the office that they hear me coming :D). Can't say it encourages me to speed up though as I drive at (or just above) the limits when possible/appropriate anyway.

For more sedate occasions it's the 80s/90s "mellow mix" as I call it, or lately in the afternoon, George Hook on Newstalk. I take pride in the fact that although they're tuned in, I never listen to RTE1/2FM. ;)

Like others have said though I'd automatically turn it down if I'm somewhere I'm unfamiliar with or late at night. I'd be lost without my tunes tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

i usually have the radio at an average volume, unless a track comes on that i like, like yesterday was heading to the status quo concert with my dad and cousin and a quo track was played, volume got turned right up.

wasn't there a guy in the uk a few years back that got done for dangerous driving, he claimed that he got carried away with the ride of the valkyries or the charge of the light brigade, something like that. he had the volume up to the last and was careering up a main st with an umbrella out the window pretending it was a sword.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

digweed wrote:
    wasn't there a guy in the uk a few years back that got done for dangerous driving, he claimed that he got carried away with the ride of the valkyries or the charge of the light brigade, something like that. he had the volume up to the last and was careering up a main st with an umbrella out the window pretending it was a sword.

Hilarious! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

A friend of mine had his music so loud that while stopped at lights he was interrupted by a someone knocking on the window. On rolling down the window, he discoverd it was the driver from the bus behind. The bus driver had been blowning his horn for the last 2 mins to make him notice the lights had changed to green...:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Advertisement