Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing chainring on roadbike

Options
  • 25-10-2006 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've noticed the smaller chainring on my shiminao sora chainset/chrankset is very worn down now(trek 1000 bike). So was planning on replace the chainring with a new one. But the new one has 40t (teeth) and the old I think has 39t, will this cause a problem?
    Also will this cause more problems? Like mixing worn and new part together? Anything else I should be considering before doing this?

Thanks,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Ok, first off, the size difference will not have much noticable effect. You can go ever so slightly faster with the 40. Are you replacing the whole crank or just the ring(s)?

Mixing old and new has more effect when changing the rear block, but it can have some impact when changing the front.

You will only know when you put the new one on and put the chain back on.

Worst case, you need to buy another chain and back block.

L.

Advertisement