Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, which console is for you?

Options
  • 25-10-2006 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

This has probably been done before, but I couldn't find a thread.

I was wondering what console, if any, people are backing. Granted, this poll would probably be more effective if the main consoles in question were released at the same time, but I ask the question regardless.

Myself, I have an xBox, a PS2 and had an N64 back in the day, but mainly stick to my PC. But after reading about the Wii, I've started to get a hankering for it. Of the new consoles (being the 360, PS3 and Wii), it seems the most geared to just having fun and I say it'll be a great laugh at parties and the like (before being destroyed by an energetic drunk).
    I don't really want anything to do with Sony after all the crap they've been giving Euro gamers for so long and am not too impressed with the machine itself. Add to that the reduculous price for the console and the games, it's basically a no no.
    And the only reason I can think of getting a 360 is to play Dead Rising, but that seems a little expensive to just play one game.

And the fact that most of the good games that will be coming out will also be available (and a hell of a lot cheaper!) for the PC, then I won't really be losing out.

So that's my choice, the Wii. It's just going to be fun, the way consoles should be again.

What's your choice, why, and why not the others?

Which Next Gen Console are you going for? 71 votes

The 360 won't let me down!
    0%
    I have too much money. PS3 for me!
    22%
    vasch_rotony 2 tonesuper_furryGristlyEndfcukmetoxofMoojuicequad_redCiaran500VyserobinphcorblimeyCarl.BGrumPyThe Sparrowdonal77 16 votes
    Wii. The name is just funny!
    8%
    satchmoMiCr0projectmayhemWhatsGoingOnroastieshortys94 6 votes
    Atari Jaguar!
    39%
    deRangedBalfaPugsleyGoodshapeKdjaCLRabiesJimMisterAnarchyLagunaCatsmokinpotrainbow kirbyL5User45701FenianhumanjismokingmananiascorThe BolloxredmosquitoRhyme 28 votes
    Actually, I'm planning on owning 2 or more of these!
    5%
    ampMossy Monkthelordofcheese4Xcut 4 votes
    I pity the fool that buys overpriced consoles!
    23%
    D-GenerateSenbotsuKevokCorben DallasmonkeyfudgeHeadshotCiDeRmAnArmen TanzarianCravezjohnny_ultimatethebmanVegetaBlowfishNirdleBugDarnell13MikeHonchoScrooLoose 17 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

At home I have an Xbox, Gamecube and PS2. I have spent many hours on each, possibly the PS2 lately with MGS3, DMC3, Guitar Hero et al...
    But Im going for the 360. This is simply because Im interested in more games. Ive a hankering to play Oblivion, GoW, DR and naturally Bioshock (pretty much the reason Im moving gens at all). The Wii does interest me highly - great concept but mainly for Zelda, and I hope the GC version gets released here, but doesnt have a strong enough launch selection to warrant a purchase yet - maybe for Super Mario Galaxy though.
    Ive been put off the PS3 for numerous reasons, mainly cost, but also Sony's increasingly poor publicity (see pretty much all threads for the last week :) )
    Since the 360 is the only console at the moment which has what I consider to be killer apps, that's my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Had a modded Xbox but sold it due to the lack of interesting games
    Have a PS2 sitting in a bag next to the tv, I might plug it back in one day for a quick blast at SotC...
    Now the Gamecube and DS on the other hand are still played pretty much every day.

So to answer your question - Wii for mii, then the other 2 when they drop to a reasonable price (some time in 2010, then...)
    I might be tempted to pick up a 360 for Assassin's Creed and the Resi 5, but won't touch a PS3 until it drops below €400 for the premium pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

I've replied to this type of poll several times, and i'll do it again.

Why? Because my answer changes week to week.

Or, more precisely, my feelings towards PS£ change week to week.

Don't get me wrong, i have a ps2, and I love it (in fact I'm outta work in a min to go play MGS3 subsistence - cool), but i'm fed up with Sony.

Mostly because of the absurd prices being quoted for PS3, but also because the arrogance/crappy cheap digs in the PS2 mags i get regarding Wii and 360 really get on my nerves. You know, stupid digs (oooh, mario, he's so gay) and so on. By all means big up your own console, but digging at the others is a bit petty if you ask me.

I still want a PS3, but it's the one of the three i want least.

I have Wii preordered, and I'll get a 360 next year.

Can't wait for Wii. Stupid name an all.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

360 rules, and I am not a fanboy....I cannot stand Microsoft but they really got it right with the 360, great machine and some really good games out and coming out for it. Ill be getting a Wii when it comes out and I use my DS regularly. Very impressed with the 360 though. Will not go near a P3 $ony wopuld have to do something amazing on it for me to get one. FÙCK $ony!!!! (over the lik-sang incident)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

None at the min, pc has all the games I want.

Might get the Wii though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm getting a Wii or 360 first and then I'll think about getting the other later so I voted for getting 2.

I won't consider PS3, partly because the attitude and general business practices of the company sicken me but mostly because the games on the system don't really interest me. They are all companies after all and have one goal so I'm going to get whatever suits me to get and whatever I'll enjoy the most.

Screw brand loyalty in other words. If Wii control system is crap (which hands on already say isn't so :) ) then I'll get a 360. These are games consoles, not politics so we should just buy what we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Darnell13 wrote:
    Or, more precisely, my feelings towards PS£ change week to week.
    interesting freudian slip...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Atari Jaguar!
    I'll be buying a Wii (although if I don't get it at launch day due to lack of stock, I won't go crazy). I'll probably buy a 360 once the price drops a little, perhaps prior to the PS3 releasing. No interest in the PS3 whatsoever.

Current consoles...

The GAMECUBE is getting alot of play with METROID PRIME 2 glued into it!
    The PS2 gets dusted off for the occasional game of StreetFighter
    The PSP sits there waiting to be sold. It reminds me to put gameplay before flashiness.
    The DS is played every day, either by my gf or myself and the games played are NSMB, Yoshis Island and Brain Training, with a smattering of Tetris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senbotsu

I'll be getting a Wii360, and the PS3 can ask me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Atari Jaguar!
    Dont think I'll bother getting any console but if I do I'll buy the Wii.
    The whole idea of a console in the first place was that is was cheap to buy.
    Sony seemed to have lost the plot ,€600 for a console is a ridiculous ,outrageous joke.
    The best platform has and always will be the PC,it can do so much more than a console can.
    I like the look of the Wii though.
    Nice design,great games (I luv Zelda ),nice price .
    I never thought I'd see the day when a console cost more than a decent laptop.
    I bought a decent laptop in Tesco a few months back for €300.
    Two of them for a PS3 .
    Its crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

after those amazing ps3 cell and blu ray ads, PS3 plz. damn advertising.
    aswell id like to play my ps2 games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I was an early adopter of the 360, formerly being an xbox owner and i have to say I have never looked back. I use the 360 way more than I ever used the xbox and up to my purchase i would have considered myself a PC gamer through and through, but now I rarely play PC games anymore except for the likes of CIV4 and the nearly released Dark Messiah, games that you just can't get on a console.I am really really intrigued by the Wii console and if i have a bit of spare cash will buy one , (if I can justify another console to the wife ! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Atari Jaguar!
    Wii and a decent PC. Between Nintendo games and World of Warcraft there's more than enough to keep me going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Have everything that's out now, but next-gen wise, I'll be keeping my 360, have a Wii pre-ordered, and will be probably upgrading my PC a bit again.

I had planned to buy a PS3 at some point but they can just F right off now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

At this point I have every console of note since the 70's so I don't see any reason to stop now, so I can see all three sharing space next to the tv, eventually.
    For the time being, meaning up to Christmas 07 at the earliest, I reckon the 360 and Wii will suffice for my next gen gaming needs, with the PS2 doing sterling work in the background, PS3 just too expensive with too small a differential between it and my 360, maybe by late 07 it'll give me a compelling reason to invest, but not so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Placebo wrote:
    after those amazing ps3 cell and blu ray ads, PS3 plz. damn advertising.
    You serious? o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Atari Jaguar!
    Wii and a good PC will do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

PC ftw. I have a PS2, PSP and Xbox that rarely ever see the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Wii. The name is just funny!
    got a pc (and a laptop) and a ps2
    mainly play games on the laptop though - due to travel and GF watching the TV
    but when it comes to upgrading - it'll have to be the ps3

having said that - i won't be buying one for about 3 years - no way will i pay the insane price thats being quoted @ the moment

having said that the current price of good graphics cards and new cpu's for pc's mean it will prob be as long until i upgrade my pc.

at least with a ps3 you have a standard platform that every game will play as designed - which is nice to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

PC ftw. Although once it pops up, I'll pick up a wii. And at some point after that a 360. Ps3 hasn't made it onto the shopping list, nor will it for quite a while I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement