Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treats for dogs?

Options
  • 25-10-2006 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I have to admit being a right old softie with my dogs and if they look at me with those begging eyes I just can't stop giving them some little food treat.

The latest routine is me getting them something in town - usually some cooked spare rib which they love as they can spend about an hour chewing it. I don't do it all the time but they have come to expect their daily treat.

I am a bit worried now though that as they get stronger they eat the lot - crunching the bones to powder. I notice they chew the bones well but should I resist and just stick to their (very expensive) science plan dog food.

To be honest I give them the treat as if I want to work on my cars in the garage they just walk off with my tools in their mouths so having them munching gives me a bit of peace too.:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Well the main recommendation for ensuring dogs weight stays under control is to subtract some dry food from their daily allowance and then use this for treats too.

Also steer clear of the bones - the problem they can potentially cause are really not worth it. Though of course there are those people who swear by the BARF (bones and raw food) diet. But these would be raw bones and I think this makes a difference.

However if you want to give them a tasty safe treat I'd recommend a pigs ear. You can get them in pet stores or sometimes at your local vets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

nando wrote:
    Well the main recommendation for ensuring dogs weight stays under control is to subtract some dry food from their daily allowance and then use this for treats too.

Also steer clear of the bones - the problem they can potentially cause are really not worth it. Though of course there are those people who swear by the BARF (bones and raw food) diet. But these would be raw bones and I think this makes a difference.

However if you want to give them a tasty safe treat I'd recommend a pigs ear. You can get them in pet stores or sometimes at your local vets.

Thats what I used to do. I'm too scared to use bones getting stuck in their throat (or a splinter from them) or something horrible like that. I sometimes use Dentabones which are tough and good for dogs teeth also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Cooked bones are a definite no no, as they can splinter and lodge themselves in the dogs throat.

Best avoid all pork, cooked or raw as it might be infected with a virus (can't remember the name now) that is lethal (and untreatable) in dogs but absolutely harmless in humans ...and therefore not necessarily checked for.

Any butcher will happily give you some raw cattle bones, the thick thigh bones or hip joints with the grizzle on will go down a treat with your dogs and keep their teeth clean and healthy.

As for pigs ears:

Yes, dogs love them and we used to get them quite regularly. But I recently read that these ears get manufactured, packed, transported and stored rather carelessly and there apperently where quite a few casses of them being infected with all sorts of mildews and nasty bacteria ...that kinda put me off.

At least with a fresh bone from the butchers I know where it came from.

Advertisement