Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Touche Hotel fire

Options
  • 25-10-2006 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Just been told the La Touche hotel is on fire.. There was a preservation order on it....that may have been holding up construction work on the new appartments. The same thing happened to the Woodlands hotel funnily enough. It too had a preservation order on it and whaddya know, it went on fire one night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

If you live is the beginning of Charlesland Park (south facing houses) you have 999 on speed dial! twice in one week I had to call 999 as the shed was on fire in old farm behind houses and a developers container beside Jackie Skellys

And of course during the summer the old farm house went up twice and I think it has now been demolished - no preservation order on this one though!

Maybe people are in training for Halloween!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Just been told the La Touche hotel is on fire.. There was a preservation order on it....that may have been holding up construction work on the new appartments. ....

Could possibly have been an accident. There were tramps living in there, I'm reliably informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Is it badly damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's only 2 types of closed hotel:

those that have burned down.
    and those that are going to burn down.

I was only walking past the La Touche the other day and remarked that it was only a matter of time before it went on fire (actually there was a small fire there last year).

old greystonians will remember the Woodlands Hotel - closed in the late 80s, sat derelict for a few years then - surprise - burnt down and houses were built on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

I'm surprised it's taken this long to "accidentally" catch on fire! Especially if the marina develompment is going ahead.

I have my suspicion about the little cottage beside the pancake roundabouts on the way to delgany, it "cought fire" and then a few weeks later they started building houses on the grounds it was attached to!

Has anyone checked the hotel out to see if this is true? If it is, there goes my hopes of the beach club ever re-opening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

When I heard it on the radio this morning, it was dejavu. Woodlands sprang to mind straight away:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

failsafe wrote:
    I'm surprised it's taken this long to "accidentally" catch on fire! Especially if the marina develompment is going ahead.

I have my suspicion about the little cottage beside the pancake roundabouts on the way to delgany, it "cought fire" and then a few weeks later they started building houses on the grounds it was attached to!

Has anyone checked the hotel out to see if this is true? If it is, there goes my hopes of the beach club ever re-opening!

Anyone have an update on this? Haven't been out that way lately but would be interested to know if it's badly damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

i noticed the old farmhouse was on fire again on friday night...

guess we'll all just have to keep an eye out or summit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

no apparent damage to the la touche when I drove past yesterday
    it lives to burn another day....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

the old petrol station in the village looked a bit charcoaley today when i walked past!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Is that a polite way of saying "burnt to a crisp"???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

failsafe wrote:

that was actually vandalism - some little runts broke into the pattersons garage on the same night and knocked the owner out in their attempt to steal €40, they then proceeded to tourch the cottage. the person who owned the cottage had been doing it up just prior to this, or so my mum, the fountain of all information regarding greystones and the people who live there, tells me. They has been up to quite a bit that night from memory, as far as i remember, they stole a car from the nearby estate too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Tauren, I think yore ma might be correct. I seem to recall the roof being thatched a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I remember when the cottage went on fire.

The guy who was doing the roof took ages to finish it and it looked lovely when it was finished. Then shortly after it was finished, and I mean literally days, I was driving by on the Sunday morning and the fire brigade were putting the fire out. No roof left, the inside I's say was gutted by the fire and if not damaged by all the water.

As much I was concerned that nobody was hurt (and I didn't hear if anyone was), I wondered if the place was insured as a roof and house like that would be so costly to replace.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

the old petrol station in the village looked a bit charcoaley today when i walked past!!

It looked a bit......hang on it's gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

loyatemu wrote:
    no apparent damage to the la touche when I drove past yesterday
    it lives to burn another day....

Good news, it's a nice landmark on the seafront. Not sure of its architectural merit as I was never actually in it, but Greystones wouldn't be the same without it!

Advertisement