Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3d applications

Options
  • 25-10-2006 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a good, easy to learn 3d application thats free, or really really cheap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

You could try blender http://www.blender3d.com although I don't know how easy it is to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

blender is quite a good place to start. plenty of documentation online to help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

For pure geometric modeling with limited animation try sketchup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭wombat

For my money you can't beat wings3d. www.wings3d.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 madden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Gmax is free. Its like a version of 3dS max just for making and animating gaming models so its pretty heavily cut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

hey all, complete noob to 3D and have a few questions. I was fiddling around with the Poser free trial and found it fairly handy to pick up. How compatable
    are the models I've created with animation programmes? Preferably of the free variety. And is Poser the best one for modelling? Seems to have a large following

I have tons of 2D graphic experience and there's always problems switching files between graphics applications

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Poser has a large following because it can make naked ladies easily, it not great for models, give maya personal learning edition a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

heh, thought as much. Will give Maya a try over the weekend. The first thing I want to do is a vehicle design for a comic, other than human figures/animals is Maya handy for vehicles/machinery?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Maya is regarded as one of the best 3D progs around. Check out some of the galleries on Renderosity for the various software and transportation.

This was done in Maya(Not by me)
    display_1114776.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Renders mean nothing in fairness. You could use the ****tiest 3d program in the world and use a half decent renderer plugin and get decent results tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ScrooLoose

U could try the Maya PLE edition, its free with almost all the funcionality the normal version has only u cant use it for commercial stuff.

I'm just starting with Maya but i really like it, pretty easy to use once u get the basics.
    Also there are some VTM's on http://www.3dbuzz.com that teaches u how to use various programs including Maya and 3DsMax

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=7695485

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Anyone here use Cinema 4d??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭calliopeia

I've tried a few and I'm about to try Maya. I just need it to make glasses. And I've done the best on photoshop to get a 3d effect. It's just not perfect. Tell you how it goes with maya. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

try silo for modelling, it's very good and only about €90

cinema 4d is amazing and easy to use (as far as 3d apps go)

also try modo, it's becoming popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cybercelesta

Anyone here use Daz Hexagon?? Looking for tips and tutorials! The few on DAZ are okay, but looking for more in-depth tues! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I would recommend Blender.

I've never used it, I'm max and maya, but I hear really good things about it and I think some places are actually using it as an alternative to either max or maya, and thats got to be a good recommendation.

Its also open source so its not going to go away, or suddenly cost a fortune to buy.

The problem with using the "learning editions" of max or maya is that you'll invest considerable time in getting up to speed only to be restricted in functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

calliopeia wrote: »
    I've tried a few and I'm about to try Maya. I just need it to make glasses. And I've done the best on photoshop to get a 3d effect. It's just not perfect. Tell you how it goes with maya. Thanks

SO hows that going? Maya has a pretty steep learning curve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 osCreative

Use this website for learning

http://www.huntfor.com/3d/tutorials.htm

i hope it helpful for you.

Thanks,

osCreative - Wordpress Web Design

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Scotty # wrote: »
    Anyone here use Cinema 4d??

It's very good. Also considered to be one of the easier ones to get started with.

Wings 3D looks very good. Also, keep in mind Sketch Up from Google, that allows basic architectural style modelling. You can also get higher quality renderers.

To the OP, i'd steer away from Max & Maya for now, since they're massive pro tools, and have a large learning curve. Try some of the other tools recommended first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement