Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Smelly Cat

Options
  • 25-10-2006 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Here’s one for ye.

We have 5 cats, all neutered and well used to being handled. Recently we have noticed that on certain occasions when we pick up the ginger cat we are left with a horrible, absolutely rotten smell on our clothes. It does not smell like urine, more of a horrible musty smell and it hits you suddenly like a cloud. It doesn’t happen all the time and he has only started doing this recently but not all the time. Now am very wary about picking him up because I don’t know when he will take it into his head to zap me.

Is it a special piss he has for the occasion or some sort of scent gland that goes bang! when he feel like it, or may be just a fart? Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Could be he is rolling in some stuff which gives off the smell.

Don't know if neutered cats mark their territory by springing up the tail and spraying on selected items.

My cat is neutered and I never caught him at it.

Other than that just keep an eye on him

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Quite probably an anal scent gland. We had a neutered tom once who would occasionally give a little squirt of some really obnoxious stuff out of his back end if he ever felt really hassled for some reason, like when we were wrestling with him to get him into his cat carrier :) It was really foul if you got it on your skin or clothes, and was very difficult to get rid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

I don't think he was rolling in anything. However the first time I coped it was when I was trying to put flea treatment on him (Frontline spray) and he didn’t like it and that’s when a ferocious smell hit both me and the wife.

Talking of neutered cats not spraying: We have a small dog as well and I did catch the ginger cat (Tubby), pissing on the dog's bed one evening, I couldn’t believe it. There he was arse cocked up against the dog's basket and a good squirt, straight into the basket on to the blanket. I thought it very strange for a neutered cat, maybe the dog pissed him off that day and he was getting revenge.

Alun wrote:
    Quite probably an anal scent gland. We had a neutered tom once who would occasionally give a little squirt of some really obnoxious stuff out of his back end if he ever felt really hassled for some reason, like when we were wrestling with him to get him into his cat carrier :) It was really foul if you got it on your skin or clothes, and was very difficult to get rid off.

I’m thinking along those lines too. It appears to be a recent trick he has learned, because before if he was a bit hassled either by the flea treatment or simply was fed up being picked up and played with he would just wriggle a lot and run off out of the way, and believe me in our house the cats get handled a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hey, I've just noticed your username ... it couldn't be you could it? :):)

(Hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_sulfide)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 UndergroundGirl

Could be he is rolling in some stuff which gives off the smell.

Don't know if neutered cats mark their territory by springing up the tail and spraying on selected items.

My cat is neutered and I never caught him at it.

Other than that just keep an eye on him
    Hi, I just read ur message 'bout ur cat bein' neutered and doesn't "spray" well I got the biggest shock when my cat (who is 16 yrs old!!!) I caught him only 2 weeks ago doing it against my side gate. I couldn't believe my eyes, as I was always under the impression neutered toms didn't do that but "seeing is being" as thay say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 UndergroundGirl

I Have a 16 year old moggie and only that I saw him for the first time 2 weeks ago spraying up the side gate of the house i wouldn't have believed it. I was always under the impression that once a tom cat was neutered he couldn't di that anymore!!!

Alun wrote:
    Hey, I've just noticed your username ... it couldn't be you could it? :):)

(Hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_sulfide)

lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

It does sound like he's decided to spray after being upset about the flea treatment. The basic definition for deciding between spraying and urinating is that spraying is done on a vertical surface and urination on horizontal one, but obviously it's usually quite clear which they're up to when you see them at it!

All neutered cats can still spray - male and female. It's usually behavioural, especially if they had done it quite a bit before being neutered, especially if neutered when older. My 9 year old spayed female happily sprays my dog from time to time.

However, neutered toms urine should smell considerably less than an intact male due to the reduced pheremones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I Have a 16 year old moggie and only that I saw him for the first time 2 weeks ago spraying up the side gate of the house i wouldn't have believed it. I was always under the impression that once a tom cat was neutered he couldn't di that anymore!!!

Nice one!!.. Well not so nice.

I wasn't sure myself, maybe they do it outside where other Toms may be patrolling.As long as he doesn't start doing it inside:( . Would it be an age thing I wonder?

My animal definately does not do it inside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 EsmeWeatherwax

Hes marking his territory, he must feel threatened for some reason..

We have a neutered female who does it, shes a very anxious cat, maybe it makes her feel safe, or shes desperately trying to keep her space free.

Shouldnt smell that bad, bring him to the vet to get checked out.

Advertisement