Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Problems

Options
  • 25-10-2006 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

I was a smart customer who moved to magnet this week.. Jesus are they retarded!?!! they sent me out a router with a 2 pin plug so I had to go out and get an adapter (as none was provided).. I hook everything up to find out that im getting less than 1mb .. I signed up for the 4mb package!! what poor service that is.

I rang support this evening (as i have to work all day!) , expecting a call back RE: my ticket that was logged by a call center monkey (seems they had no techs available).

I have read a few bad reports over at IrishISPtest (after i signed up) .. Anyone else having problems with them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DBee

What do you have to do to get broadband in this country. FFS!
    I placed an order with Magnet well over a month ago. I rang a couple of times and they said the order was being processed ok. I called today and they tell me, it will be another couple of weeks.

Seriously, I can't understand this.

Reading your post, I am glad I cancelled it cos I was going for the Entertainment Lite package expecting a 4mb service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Cr8or wrote:
    I was a smart customer who moved to magnet this week.. Jesus are they retarded!?!! they sent me out a router with a 2 pin plug so I had to go out and get an adapter (as none was provided).. I hook everything up to find out that im getting less than 1mb .. I signed up for the 4mb package!! what poor service that is.

I rang support this evening (as i have to work all day!) , expecting a call back RE: my ticket that was logged by a call center monkey (seems they had no techs available).

I have read a few bad reports over at IrishISPtest (after i signed up) .. Anyone else having problems with them?

Forgive me for asking these silly questions but your post was a long rant without anything substantial. Just looking for clarification before I take your...
    Jesus are they retarded!?!!
    and
    by a call center monkey
    and
    what poor service that is
    ...seriously.
    I hook everything up to find out that im getting less than 1mb .. I signed up for the 4mb package!!
    What speed were you getting from Smart? Can your line HANDLE 4Mb?
    with a 2 pin plug
    Fuzzy muff, that was a dodgy mistake but not the end of the world. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

So we shouldn't expect a professional service from a Provider taking his cash ???
    I they can't provide someone with a 4MB line they shouldn't try calling it a 4MB connection and should only charge that person for a 1MB connection, I understand someone making a mistake with a plug, but it's a mistake at the end of the day and reflects badly on the provider - one of the problems here is that we tend to accept mediocracy and poor service as a standard, that would be the point I make - no rant. I'm looking to switch broadband providers and just can't see good candidates, choice here seems to be purely defined by someone offering a slightly cheaper package rather than someone offering a better product and service.

IrishTLR wrote:
    Forgive me for asking these silly questions but your post was a long rant without anything substantial. Just looking for clarification before I take your...

and

and

...seriously.

What speed were you getting from Smart? Can your line HANDLE 4Mb?

Fuzzy muff, that was a dodgy mistake but not the end of the world. Get over it.

NIBBS wrote:
    So we shouldn't expect a professional service from a Provider taking his cash ???
    I they can't provide someone with a 4MB line they shouldn't try calling it a 4MB connection and should only charge that person for a 1MB connection,

The point I was trying to make was, ther are too many unknowns about the OP's post before we can make an informed decision.

ALL DSL providers sell UPTO an agreed speed. There are factors outside of their control that dictate the actual speed achieved. Distance from exchange and quality of copper being the main two.

The Op could have torjans or zombies on his computer that is utilizing his upload, therefor choking his download. Unlikely but it's an example. There are many reasons for his 1Mb connection.

The OP's line might not be able to take 4Mb. There is no way that Magnet would know this until they connected him/her. The OP hasn't said what speed he was on with Smart. He / She just went off on one without qualifiing their rant.
    NIBBS wrote:
    I they can't provide someone with a 4MB line they shouldn't try calling it a 4MB connection and should only charge that person for a 1MB connection,
    In the office here, we have Smart BB. We are on the 5Mb :512Kb package but can only get 2Mb:300Kb speeds. However, we are happy to stay on this package because it gives us 5 static IP's. We certainly didn't even think of going down to the 3Mb package. It's not up to the provider to ask if you want to downgrade. That is your choice.

I wouldn't be surprised that there is more to the OP's story than he/she is telling. He/She says that he tried to contact Magnet support but without success to their technical department. There might be information that wasn't replayed to him.

The OP said that he only moved to Magnet this week and he posted late last night. Jayses, That is only 3 days [if he got setup on Monday]. Give the service a chance. Talk things through with Magnet. There may be some tweaking that they can do if your line is ****e.

Basically, as I alluded to in my first post, calling them retards and monkeys with poor service is just not on after only a couple of days with the service. Give it a chance, work with Magnet. If you work during the day, ring them at lunch time or on your tea / coffee / smoke break.

I'm not a fan boy. I don't even have Magnet, but judging by what I have heard about them, they are certainly NOWHERE near the bottom of the pile of ISP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Welcome to the World of Magnet.....
    The Tech/customer care/billing are all the same person...
    If u are persistent and know what u are talking about they will put u onto someone that really Knows what they are talking about....when i signed up a few months back i had a similar problem i.e. 1mb up and should be 4mb, this was sorted in a fone call lasting 5 mins, they do something the HQ.... anyway 10 mins later all was fine 4mb download... my advice is ring them back ....
    i have Magnet for 4 months or so and it has been "ROCK SOLID" all the time....
    The 2 pin plug does not surprise me, and they neglect to tell u that YOU need to supply your own multiple cordless fone for having more than one fone in the house or that its VOIP.....But this is what we have to put with in Ireland for a half decent BB package!

cramp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

IrishTLR wrote:

I have got up to 6mb (solid) on my Smart line. I am fairly close to my local exchange too (its nearly on my road).

Turns out the ticket that was logged by that call centre monkey never got dealt with. I did however get someone else the next day who was quite helpful.

I was due two call-backs AND was informed that they would make sure to ring me personally. I don’t know about you, but if I stuck my neck out like that id expect it to be slapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

I've been with Magnet for about 6 months now, and honestly it's the best service i've gotten from anyone in the previous 5 years (have been with Eircom, BT and notsoSmart). The first few days had a few teething problems, but since then i've had any complaints dealt with surprisingly fast, and there were very few complaints.
    Maybe you or they are just having a ****ty day, but i have nowt but praise for them, they make anyone else i've been with look even ****tier than i already thought they were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Curious as to the "notsoSmart" dig.......have to say that from personal experience I can't fault them on any issue.

True, due to crappy copper it seems I can't avail of the 6MB package, but with a consistent 2.8MB, no contention, line rental and calls included for €45 per month, I haven't seen a comparable offering even at 2.8MB, so I can't see any reason for calling it "notsoSmart" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

They had my exchange work done the DAY...the DAY I called them.
    Eircom just have to pull finger, and I'll be online. But they arte taking some two weeks!

John O'Brien is a legend at Magnet, I shall deal with no other

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Yeah I've been on the phone to magnet almost every day since I got my 4mb
    installed 2 weeks ago. I'm only getting 2.2mb, and they say my line is capable of providing up to 16mb! (Nothing to do with copper here, the lines were only
    laid last year)So whats the feckin problem! Also I dont' like the way they lock
    you out of the modem/router. I'm in a college house with a few non computer
    heads and they keep using P2P progs that completely kill the net for anyone
    else. Wouldn't be a problem if I could close ports on the router.

Also what I'm amazed about is this: If someone paid for the 4mb line and didn't
    know much about computers they'd be totally ripped off because they
    wouldn't realise that magnet probably isn't providing them with 4mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

LOL - just checked the phone number checker as i was thinking of getting them there a while back as they were due in the area in Sept. originally then November and this evening the phone checker is saying 14 months and they have removed the PDF from the site as far as i can see.

TBH now after things i've heard/read they sound like a bunch of chancers / having a LOT of startup problems, happy ive gone with UTV unlimited :) (was never going to sign up to Magnet near the start/first came into the area anyways thats what you guine pigs are for :p)

Zapho wrote:
    Also I dont' like the way they lock
    you out of the modem/router. .

Oh no they don't...or hope they better not.

I pay. Therefore I will get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you have no access whatsoever to a Magnet DSL router . If you wish to do 'stuff' put a linksys wrt54g or similar just inside it .

Ok it’s nearly been a week now. My issues have not been resolved AND the line has got worse over the last week, I had just about 1mb and now I have less than half that.. I have been on the phone to support nearly every day because of the lack of communication on their part.. My issues where passed on to level 2 support last Thursday and all I can get out of first level is that the line needs “tweaking”.

To top this all off there was a 24 hours of downtime on my line over the weekend resulting in no phone or broadband. I logged a support ticket but got no response. These guys seem to be worse than IBB! And I have been through the mill with IBB in the past!

What are they playing at!!!?!

they had a huge backlog and their system went down last week so I heard.
    Anyway, should tehy not deliver, they are to expect a solicitor's letter in regards to QOS...

Problem fixed, I can't go into details. Issue was resolved from Magnets end (favor from a m8 of a m8). You know who you are! :)

Solid connection now.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hornet

Cr8or wrote:
    Problem fixed, I can't go into details. Issue was resolved from Magnets end (favor from a m8 of a m8).
    After being SOOOO vocal about the shower of monkeys/retards/worse than IBB, you should DEFINITELY go into details!

It is not acceptable to bash a provider and once the service is perfect (from the same provider!!) to mumble "all fine now, bye".

Even a favour from someone in helping with the resolution is a positive result and might show that a certain provider is at least capable to 1) provide a good service and 2) select good employees.

(I have NO affiliation with Magnet and am not using their service. But it annoys me that on these boards the bashing is always done 100 times louder and faster than the praising.)

--Hornet

Ok the issue was on magnets end. I was so vocal because I couldn’t get past first level support, even though the issue was passed on to second level. Second level support is ace.

Long story short I made a call to my m8, they made a call to the network guys in magnet (higher up). Problem is now fixed, It’s a case of who you know!

Inside word is they are down a man, as he is on holidays. Issues should be sorted for people in the coming weeks..

If someone isn’t provided the serverice that they outline, they deserve bashing! If they fix the issue they should get praising. OK the IBB comment was out of order; No one could be as bad as them (service wise). NOTE: I haven’t been with them in over a year so they may have improved.

-EOF-

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Cr8or wrote:
    OK the IBB comment was out of order; No one could be as bad as them (service wise). NOTE: I haven’t been with them in over a year so they may have improved.

I had IBB for nearly a year and it was unacceptable for most of the time and a constant battle with support to get it to work at all. Now with Magnet for nearly as long and apart from the first week or so (when they did some tweaking of the settings) it has been rock solid.

Yes it can be frustrating talking to the call centre 'monkeys' and hoping they will escalate you to the 'big bananna' guru ape, but it's like that with any ISP (or most big companies for that matter).

With any callcenter you need to have both persistance and patience.
    Except for IBB where you may have to go a bit 'psycho' to get your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Phil777

Ordered broadband from Magnet 6 weeks ago. was told it would take 15 working days max. Rang them after 15 days and was told it could take another 10 days. Modem arrived a few days later but line not ready. Signal light on modem was flashing so could not pick up broadband. rang them and they said it would be dec 5th and it was eircoms faulth. Now signal light is on solid which is what we want, but now we have no broadband or phone...also they never call back, you have to keep at them. They're nearly nas bad as eircom for customer support.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

i got mine installed last wednesday, eircom approved the order last monday, modem got sent out then, line was transfered on tuesday, modem arrived wednesday,

My line is connected at 16mbps / down and 1mbps up ( both with a 7db SNR margin ) with actual throughput of 5.5mbps down average, and 1.15mbps upload steady ( the download speed starts at a burst rate of 10mbps and settles down to 5.5mbps within about 2 seconds )

I have not had to contact magnet yet about any issues, cause so far there are none. As for the 'locked down modem myth' and 'i cant change forwarding / ports etc' thats irrelevant also since its in modem-only mode, with no router function activated on it, the wireless interface and 4 ethernet ports are in switching mode, and each receive their own public IP addresses ( dynamically assigned via dhcp ) . Each customer is allowed up to 8 IPs be default, if you require more you need to run it by them first to make sure peole dont abuse the ip assigments.

JNive wrote:
    As for the 'locked down modem myth' and 'i cant change forwarding / ports etc' thats irrelevant also since its in modem-only mode, with no router function activated on it, the wireless interface and 4 ethernet ports are in switching mode, and each receive their own public IP addresses ( dynamically assigned via dhcp ) . Each customer is allowed up to 8 IPs be default, if you require more you need to run it by them first to make sure peole dont abuse the ip assigments.

This has been a sticking point with me for a while now. I decided not to go Magnet [when they come to my area] for this point.

So, their modem, is JUST a modem? I can connect up my Endian FW and forward ports etc to my liking without restrictions?

So, does each device connected to the modem get it's IP from Magnets DHCP and not from your firewall? Hopefully that's not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Phil777 wrote:
    They're nearly nas bad as eircom for customer support.:mad:

All providers are like that and hell a lot of Customer support is like that worldwide and not just in Ireland. Its just luck of the draw whether you get someone who wants to do their job or someone who is so demotivated they just want to get you off the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

right, if you get the magnet entertainment packages ( the tv is optional), you get the telsey modem. Im on the Magnet Intro Service, and im using blueface for my VoIP since its much cheaper than magnet.

anyways, the telsey modem is your usual looking modem unit but with 2 Phone Ports, 4 Ethernet Ports, and wireless antennae.

Each device you connect to the modem via the ethernet ports or wirelessly gets its own public IP assigned from Magnet ( up to a maximum of 8 by default ) The modem utilises no routing / NAT / firewall functions whatsoever.

For instance, ive connected by Netgear Wireless Router to one of the ethernet ports on the modem, i do all port forwarding / routing and all that with the netgear, and connect my PCs to that instead. Treat the magnet modem as exactly that, a modem, even though it looks like a router lol.

Advertisement