Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE 1 or Diploma for Professional Legal Studies for Legal Executives

Options
  • 25-10-2006 9:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭

hi i have just obtained a BA (hons) in Legal Studies with Taxtion at Letterkenny I.T. This course is really a course for any one who wants to enter law but does not have enough points for the traditional route. Although it is not a university course, all our lectures are qualified barrister or solicitors. The course progression includes further post graduation courses, legal secretar, legal executives, sitting the fe 1 or the two year diploma for kings inn.

any way i am finding it really hard to find employment as a secreatary or executive. My plan was to spend a year or two as either, to gain experience and gain contacts. If i was successful i would consider doing the Professional Diploma for Legal Executives so i could get registered on the roll of executives, the other alternative would be sit the fe1, if i could secure a training solicitor for the apprenticeship.

the thing is i really do not want to fork out nearly E3000 on a pitman training course for legal secretaries especially when my course covered all the legal core areas and it skills required in an office. but i getting frustrated, do i continue to send cv's out or decide to go to griffith to do either courses.

I kinda spooked out by doing the prepartory course for fe1 in gcd. I know it is an excellent course but between that and the fe1 itself and ppc 1 & 11 it is alotta of money especially if ya mess up. (i know many are in the same position and i know that there are grants but would a bank really give e20k to someone who is still working in a supermarket. any there arer so many solicitors in ireland

one reason i would do the professional for legal ex is that unlike secretaries i would not be a glorifies typewritter (know how to do all the it stuff but aint that quick on typing), at least i can apply my law knowledge from college (if i am wrong sorry for offending anyone who is a secretary)

Just i have had a couple of interviews and they all said the same, that i should consider doing the fe1 instead, seen i only soon going on 22 yrs.

Has anyone done the professional legal executive course in griffith? if anyone was in my position with a degree and has no experience, would they keep presisitng looking for work, or just go back to college spend more dosh? its just that fear that unless i did the fe1 it be worthless getting the diploma and still not get work.

i would be very much grateful if someone could give me their advice or experience of doing any of them courses. thanks

Advertisement