Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recommend a really funny book?

Options
  • 25-10-2006 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks myself and my girlfriend read a lot but ive found i read a lot of crime or special agent/govt (ludlum that type of thing) books and she reads a lot of the normal chick lit stuff

what we'd really like is a laugh out loud book, can anyone recommend anything? last book i laughed at was the latest ross o carroll kelly :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

The Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy is definately the one to read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

the Bible,it is quite a laugh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

or you could just look through the list of threads from the past month or so....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sorry not a regular here and thanks for the one constructive post

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I second the Hitchhikers Guide.

Have you tried any Terry Pratchett? There is a thread either here or in the Discworld forum about the reading order of the books and where to start.

Basically, each book is a standalone but many of the same characters appear from book to book. Most fans consider either books involving the city watch or Death as being the best in the series. Pratchett himself says he is not very fond of his earlies books. Either way, they are mostly all very good.

I read the last Ross O'Carroll-Kelly book too and surprised myself because I thought it was hilarious :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Cyrus,
    Catch 22 by Joseph Heller is hilarious.
    That Ross o Carroll guy does my head in can't stand his column in the Tribune.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Agreed, Catch 22 is great and very, very funny although tragic overall!

The ROCK (Ross O'Carr...) book I loved, probably because I know one or two people a bit like him in terms of attitudes to life and people. I think you either love it or hate it, me I'm a convert...I loved it :)

Another one I read which is part of a series was The Mammy by Brendan O'Carroll and I must admit I thought it was very good. If you are looking for something that doesn't take itself seriously then this is one to consider too.

BTW, off topic, you like Ludlum books, have you read The Tristan Betrayal? Very good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

The Yes Man by Danny Wallace - hialrious book, true story as well.

Are you Dave Gorman? - Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace (there was a tv show as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

r3nu4l wrote:
    Agreed, Catch 22 is great and very, very funny although tragic overall!

The ROCK (Ross O'Carr...) book I loved, probably because I know one or two people a bit like him in terms of attitudes to life and people. I think you either love it or hate it, me I'm a convert...I loved it :)

Another one I read which is part of a series was The Mammy by Brendan O'Carroll and I must admit I thought it was very good. If you are looking for something that doesn't take itself seriously then this is one to consider too.

BTW, off topic, you like Ludlum books, have you read The Tristan Betrayal? Very good! :)

cheers guys, have read most of ludlums, i find them good but you really need to suspend your disbelief at times, the jeffrey deaver and michael connolly books are good too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

The Liar - Stephen Fry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

christopher brookmyre - a big boy did it and ran away, all fun and games until someone loses an eye , not the end of the world etc

Worth the effort for the great titles alone.

Brilliant black scottish humour combined with great crime/terrorist action and the most unlikely heroes (and plenty of sarcastic ranting about modern life).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

padraig_f wrote:
    The Liar - Stephen Fry

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I said the same in the last thread but definitely Catch 22. Try McCarthy's bar also, it's a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wander1

Definately recommend McCarthys bar too.

Something different, try "Party time growing up in politics", I found it really funny and a unusual look at things

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fr Clint Power

You can't go wrong with Tom Sharpe, Riotous Assembly, The Wilt series, Porterhouse Blue etc.

I loved Who Moved My Blackberry? by Lucy Kellaway, fans of the Adrian Mole series should enjoy it.

Robert Rankin's books can be pretty fun too Dance of the Vodoo Handbag, Sprout Mask Replica etc

The Good Soldier Svejk: And His Fortunes in the World War by Jaroslav Hasek and Jerome Jerome's Three Men in a boat and the sequel Three Men on the Bummel are also brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The Snapper by Roddy Doyle is very funny.

As is A year in the Merde by Stephen Clarke, a more or less true story of an English man going to work in France for a year, and the cultural and language barriers he comes accross there, funny because it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Piste wrote:
    As is A year in the Merde by Stephen Clarke, a more or less true story of an English man going to work in France for a year, and the cultural and language barriers he comes accross there, funny because it's true.
    Is this abouting buying a peach and strawberry farm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭/Andy\

I would recommend anything by Carl Hiassen, or closer to home Colin Bateman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The Poor Mouth or The Hard life by Flann O'Brien. Especially The Poor Mouth. If you don't p1ss yourself laughing at it, you're dead. Their likes won't be seen around here again:D
    A Drink With Shane McGowan, written by his girlfriend Victoria Clarke is funny as well.
    MacCarthy's Bar, and the sequel, The Road To MacCarthy both worth reading too.
    Also, anything by Celia Ahern. So bad, it's funny.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

r3nu4l wrote:
    I second the Hitchhikers Guide.

Have you tried any Terry Pratchett? There is a thread either here or in the Discworld forum about the reading order of the books and where to start.

Basically, each book is a standalone but many of the same characters appear from book to book. Most fans consider either books involving the city watch or Death as being the best in the series. Pratchett himself says he is not very fond of his earlies books. Either way, they are mostly all very good.

I read the last Ross O'Carroll-Kelly book too and surprised myself because I thought it was hilarious :)

Good omems is my favourite Terry Pratchett. I'm not a huge fan of his, though I really liked that one

Advertisement