Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a XDA Exec in the next day or two.. but some questions..

• 25-10-2006 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I bided and won a XDA Exec on Ebay. But I have some questions first.

1) I was wondering if anyone has used a web browser called Minimo (pocket firefox) If so, how do you find it?

2) I'll want a good media player, I seen a lot of talk about TCPMP. But I amint clear if I need to get a codec for Xvid.

3)I'm also looking for a few old games, I've heard talk of and seen pics of Wolfinstine3d, doom and other like quake/quakeII... even Halflife. But I've not heard anything about how games like this will run on the Exec.

4) I hope to use GPS on it, both on the motor bike and in the car, What software has the best maps for Ireland?

5)I've never had a phone with bluetooth before, so can anyone suggest a good headset? I was looking at some of the logitechs with 7+ hours of talk time.

6) Are there any other apps out there that anyone cant think of, that I might want to look into?

Oh and I have a high capacity battery coming from a ebay shop too. But any other hardware I should keep an eye out for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

sutty wrote:

1) I was wondering if anyone has used a web browser called Minimo (pocket firefox) If so, how do you find it?

2) I'll want a good media player, I seen a lot of talk about TCPMP. But I amint clear if I need to get a codec for Xvid.

3)I'm also looking for a few old games, I've heard talk of and seen pics of Wolfinstine3d, doom and other like quake/quakeII... even Halflife. But I've not heard anything about how games like this will run on the Exec.

4) I hope to use GPS on it, both on the motor bike and in the car, What software has the best maps for Ireland?

5)I've never had a phone with bluetooth before, so can anyone suggest a good headset? I was looking at some of the logitechs with 7+ hours of talk time.

6) Are there any other apps out there that anyone cant think of, that I might want to look into?

Oh and I have a high capacity battery coming from a ebay shop too. But any other hardware I should keep an eye out for?

1. Have a look here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minimo/
    2. Not sure about this, but they have just released a new project, called CorePlayer, but it's not free anymore.. http://mobihand.com/product.asp?id=8905

3. Not sure..

4. Well, the GPS coverage is pretty bad for Ireland, due to the Ordnance Suvey not being updated for this digital GPS arena.. People say, wait to next year, and this will be sorted out. I know of taxi drivers who refuse to get GPS navigation at the moment, due to the lack of this.

5. Not sure.

6. Messengers - there are very nice Agile Messenger and IM+ clients. For Usenet, I use Newslite. For tracking how much GPRS usage you have, All-Locations GPRS Traffic Monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

sutty wrote:

hi.
    afaik satnav apps with reasonable ireland coverage are mapopolis available from www.mapopolis.com, destinator and aa navigator.

i know mapopolis has full coverage (2d maps only) and i'm almost certain destinator and aa navigator (3d maps iirc) also have full coverage now as well.

as for apps for wm5, it depends on what you use the device for:

video apps: TCPMP is great; but other ok video apps are pocketTV and realplayer.

reference readers: isilo; tomeraider; acrobat reader for pocketpc. all handy for medical, business,legal documents etc.

ebook readers: mobipocketreader and µbook reader are meant to be ok afaik.

voip app: skype for pocketpc.

productivity/presentation apps: pocket slides is a "powerpoint" app for presentations; pocket dictate is useful for dictations.

weather apps: i find fizz weather good.

travel apps: worldmate pro; metro is a free app which
    gives info on undergrounds worldwide.

other browsers: you might check out
    opera mini and netfront as well.

finance: i have mastersoft money v5 which manages finances and has a nice updateable currency converter.

tv guide apps: mytv which is an updateable tv guide (british and ireland channels only iirc).

universal remote control: control your tv, stereo etc via your ir port.

rss apps: pocketrss which you can use for podcasts as well and avantgo.

you can also check out www.handango.com, www.pocketgear.com for more commercial software and www.ppcfreeware.com for free apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

minimo kills my xda exec and I have to reboot nearly everytime I try and load it. On the one or two times it does work, it loads so slowly it's unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭demon3

sutty wrote:

I have an XDA a few months now, it is slower then comparitive PDA's due to too little memory.

1)I use Opera. Minimo is a memory hog and as ciaranfo says kill the exec.

2)Not really bothered with movies on it (have a gen 5 60gig ipod and two PSPs) but TCPMP is about the best. Don't know if you need to download divx codec.

3) Games, there is Quake and age of empires and tomb raider and they run fine, but you have to buy them, try Handandgo.com

4) GPS - I use copilot live 6 & AA Navigator with a bluetooth GPS. Works well, but you will need to buy a product called Franson GPS gate and perform some hacks on the registry as there are some port issues with the exec. but works well. If using bluetooth, the wireless modem USB connection needs port 8 free. This port is used by the bluetooth GPS inbound.

5) I have a few, but I prefer not to use them (personal preference) most of them are fine, but I recommend looking for comfort and battry life as the main deciders.

6) What are you in to? Worldmate PRO is a critical tool for me because I travel alot. Skype is usefull, the full resco product suite, OPera of course, MemMaid to keep your memory at the max, gprs monitor to keep an eye on your gprs, agile messanger IM, handyswitcher...

One last thing, if you want to use alot of 3G or GPRS in Ireland, I highly recommend Vodafone Connect unlimited, you can use the sim in your exec and you can make and recieve calls using it (calls are at pre-pay rates, expensive). Use office.vodafone.ie for your APN. Unlimited traffic in the republic of Ireland. I have been using it for a few months now, much to the amazement of Vodafone helpdesk :)

TCPMP plays xvid/divx once installed. Nothing else needed. It runs alright, but can be a little jumpy from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

What about Opera Mobile? www.opera.com

Opera Mobile costs money after your 30day trial.

Advertisement