Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UNICEF on Barca jerseys

• 25-10-2006 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭

Only noticed this the other night while watching the Real - Barca game. I know Barca have never had a sponsor's name on their jersey but what kind of deal was done here. Is just a charitable step taken by them or is there cash involved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

On 7 September 2006, an agreement between FC Barcelona and UNICEF was reached whereby the club would donate 0.7% of its total yearly revenue to the organization for five years. As part of the agreement, FC Barcelona will wear the UNICEF logo on the front of their shirts, which will be the first time in club history that the logo of another organization (save for the logos of the athletic manufacturers of the shirts) will be present.

It was either GIVE money or ACCEPT 120 million from Shanghai Olympic commitee to have the 5 circles and Shanghai on the jersey for 2 years :confused:

Barca took the give money option.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Yes Unicef paid a multi million dollar deal. ;)

Sounds like something thats already been mentioned on here, or that would have taken about 2mins to google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Since Barcelona never had a sponsor on their jerseys before this move was a bit strange...I think in a couple of years we will see a paid sponsor on Barcelona's jerseys...I may be cynical but I think by putting Unicef on the jerseys was a way of easing jersey sponsorship in.....or it just might be that they think it is a worthwhile cause .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's a big selling point to not have Des Kelly (or similar Spanish carpet merchant) splattered across replica jerseys. That and the kudos of not bowing to economic pressures makes Barca look cool. I think they'll avoid putting a sponser on the shirt for as long as possible.
    Think about it. Milan - Opel was fine. Bwin looks crap
    Lazio - Siemens fine. Ina Assitalia crap
    Liverpool - Candy looked awful.
    Ajax - can't read it properly cos it written vertically. Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

zabbo wrote:
    Yes Unicef paid a multi million dollar deal. ;)

Sounds like something thats already been mentioned on here, or that would have taken about 2mins to google.

Have a bad day on your footy accums?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I was in Barce a few weeks ago, certainly they don't look like a club in need of extra cash, very few home shirts in their megastore, queue's of fans/tourists looking for tickets, every holiday maker I met had some kinda FCB apparrel.

That and the near 100,000 capacity of Camp Now can only help as well.

Jerseys seemed kinda dear as well, 67 euro for plain jersey, 85 for name + number. So anyway, I picked up the orange Messi one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The orange one with Unicef looks disgusting imo. Unless you're planning on cycling late at night or something. They've gone from yellow highlighter last year to orange this year.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/footballbroker/intre_pid/new%20shirt/BarAwaUe-11.jpg

PS - Barcelona are giving 0.7% of their revenue to Unicef for the next 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This was definetly discussed on Boards a few months ago when it was first announced and some very interesting commetents were made. I cant for the life of me find the thread using board tracker or google.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    The orange one with Unicef looks disgusting imo. Unless you're planning on cycling late at night or something. They've gone from yellow highlighter last year to orange this year.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/footballbroker/intre_pid/new%20shirt/BarAwaUe-11.jpg

Ah the opposition will be provided with sunglasses then. :) Brings back memories of that horrible, horrible Ireland away strip at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

MrJoeSoap wrote:

I presume they've brought it back because they won the European Cup in the colour in 1992.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Ruu wrote:
    Brings back memories of that horrible, horrible Ireland away strip at one stage.

God that was awful. Mate of mine bought that. Was quite handy actually cos we could always pick ourselves out at the games when we watched highlights later cos he was the only one wearing it ;o)

Advertisement