Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2nd hand cat

Options
  • 25-10-2006 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

The catalytic convertor is on the way out on my Dads 1996 Audi A4 1.6cc.

He is thinking of getting a secondhand cat as its about €650 for a new one.

Do ye reckon this is a viable option and worth the trouble of fitting or is there another option worth condering ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I wouldn't use a second hand cat, tbh. I'd be more inclined to check with an exhaust fitter and see what price they charge for a spurious cat. It should be a lot cheaper than a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

When it comes to catalytic convertors you should really always buy new, more often than not new is the cheaper option as with all secondhand parts you just don't know what your getting or how long it will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I disagree. My cat failed on my BMW 2yrs ago and BMW were looking for €1200 to fit a new one. With the back box on the way out a year down the road and the middle box not far beyond that, it was going to be a hefty bill.

I found a breakers yard that had the full exhaust system from a car similar age to mine but less miles where the exhaust system had been sitting around for a good while. Paid the guy €200 for the full system, bought a new set of gaskets for €15 and with the help of a mate, fitted the exhaust in 2 hrs in my drive.

The replacement is as good as new, dead quiet and has just flown thro the NCT emissions test.

I would rather try a used one that a spurious one any day. Either fork out for an OE cat or try a breakers yard. There are some really $hitty spurious ones out there for cheap money, but they are a false economy.

Advertisement