Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Americans immigrating to Ireland than Irish people emigrating to US

Options
  • 25-10-2006 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Mr. Tony Killeen, Minister of State at the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment has expressed optimism that a solution can be found to the plight of the undocumented Irish in the United States. Speaking on his return from a FAS Jobs Ireland Exhibition in New York, Minister Killeen said he now intends raising with his Departmental colleagues the idea of establishing a bilateral agreement between the US and Ireland which legalises thousands of undocumented Irish in exchange for work permits being offered to Americans seeking employment in Ireland.

There are an estimated 30,000 to 40,000 Irish illegals in the United States at present. However, recent figures suggest there has been a dramatic change in immigration patterns. In 2005, over 4300 Americans immigrated to Ireland in search of employment compared to 1700 Irish people travelling to the US. “There is clear evidence to support the establishment of some form of bilateral agreement between the US and Irish Governments”, Minister Killeen stated.

The Minister for Labour Affairs added, “A large percentage of those in attendance at the FAS Jobs Ireland Exhibition in New York were American. The interest expressed by Americans to come and work in Ireland was so great that a queue more than two and a half blocks long formed outside the Exhibition venue. In less than 15 years Ireland has gone from being the sick man of Europe to one of the most dynamic economies in the developed world. Irish incomes now exceed the European average, resulting in emigration being replaced by immigration. It is perfectly feasible to suggest that some form of working agreement can be pursued where the status of the undocumented Irish is regularised while work permits are offered to Americans seeking employment in Ireland. I hope to raise such a proposal with my colleagues over the coming weeks.”

Minister Killeen confirmed, meanwhile, that the Irish Government will shortly commence the gradual introduction a new Green Card system for entry into the Irish labour market by non-European workers. Under this system, Green Cards will initially be issued for two years and will provide a pathway to long-term or permanent residency thereafter. The new system will apply to an extensive list of occupations in the annual salary range above €60,000. Green Cards will also be made available for a more restricted list of occupations in the annual salary range from €30,000 to €60,000, which will include occupations in the Information Technology, Healthcare and Construction, Financial Services, Internationally Traded Services and Pharmaceutical or Bio-technology sectors.

“The new green card arrangements will comprise immediate family reunification and immediate access to employment for spouses. This is something that thousands of undocumented Irish, many from my own constituency in County Clare, are unable to avail of at present. Our new system ensures workers from abroad enjoy the same rights and protections as Irish workers. It is my sincere wish that similar rights will soon be afforded to the undocumented Irish in the US”, Minister Killeen added.

The Coalition of Irish Immigration Centers (C.I.I.C.) - a national umbrella organization representing the interests of Irish emigrants across the United States – has praised Minister Killeen and the Irish Government for their ongoing work on behalf of the undocumented Irish. Sheila Gleeson, Executive Director of C.I.I.C. stated, “There is no doubt that the US immigration system is not working for anybody. However, we are encouraged to see that the Irish Government is actively putting pressure on their US counterparts to regularise the status of the undocumented Irish. This strong support has, in turn, contributed to the very significant mobilisation of the Irish community in the US.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Who'd have thunk it.

Do you have a link to an external website for this? There's a few yank friends of mine who need taking down a peg or several.

Advertisement