Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Req:Anyone got any better motor oil prices

Options
  • 25-10-2006 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

The best I could find was in Artane Autos for a 20ltr of Vavoline Semi Sync 10-40w for €80. ITs a 96 carina-e with 190K so not looking for top notch stuff. Anyone know who makes Vavoline?. What do other companys add/take away to make a better grade of oil does anyone know

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Valvoline is fairly reputable brand. I don't think your 96 Carina needs semi synth oil. I imagine something like Castrol GTX (if it's still available) will do the trick with 6k oil change intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Why buy 20 litres?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Seems like a good price for 20 litres.

I use Maxol Prism 10w40 semi synth in my car, costs me 20 quid for a 5 litre container. It meets ACEA A3 spec so is a decent enough oil. If you can buy it in a larger quantity it might work out cheaper.

If you change your oil every 6k then you only need an ACEA A2 oil so look out for cheap oils that meet this spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Being sponsored by Elf-Finol we are Finol agents, and can better that price easily. I nearly dropped dead when I saw oil prices in Halfrauds recently.:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The other day I saw a 2 litre container of GTX Magnatec being sold for 18 quid in Tesco!

Also as mentioned Halfrauds are extremely expensive for oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers lads, CT is Castrol Gtx just a mineral oil then?,would it make any difference that the car is run 7-8hrs 5days a week on average (taxi) or is the damage done to oil with cold starts. Esel do an oil change about every six weeks (6K) so if I can get the oil at the right price makes more sense and saves me a couple of trips to the motor factors:D
    Do you just pick that up from your local Maxol garage Brian,must check out that "ACEA A3/A2" standard. Kersh are you saying you supply motor oil, if so would appreciate a pm with some prices please

Thanks Cubix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

esel wrote:
    Why buy 20 litres?

Why not?

That is only 4 services, or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

So long as its fine by the Mods , I will.

Advertisement