Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xp Deployment

• 25-10-2006 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice on deploying XP. Need to deploy 60-70 clients and I was thinking of building an image with Ghost/Sysprep. Haven't used sysprep that often and doing a bit of research on it. Would I be right in saying that I'm going to have problems with WPA if I don't use Microsoft volume licensing? These clients are not internet facing so I asume I'd have to manually activate them individually in I don't use Microsoft volume licensing? Also I'm sure the ghost image would eventually become defunct when the WPA activation runs out? I want to do this right the first time so any advise would be great.

ding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I'd recommend WinInstall for the client reset feature.
    (http://www.attachmate.com/en-US/Products/PC+Lifecycle+Management/),

Best of all, your tech support is in Shannon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Have a look at Acronis Snap Deploy 2.0. We did a trial run of it here and it seems the business. It does everything we wanted Ghost to do but without any of the crap.

Very userfriendly, you can DL a trial with one licence, its only about 80Mb or so.

What version of Ghost did you intend to use? (I hope its v8, anything > v8 is terrible imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

2 Espressi wrote:
    I'd recommend WinInstall for the client reset feature.
    (http://www.attachmate.com/en-US/Products/PC+Lifecycle+Management/),

Best of all, your tech support is in Shannon!

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I'm stuck with Ghost Enterprise/Sysprep for the minute.

Regarding what I was saying am I correct? If so it would give me a case for getting new tools for the job unless volume licensing sorts out WPA issues. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

vl will sort out your wpa issues as it doesnt require actiovation.

whatever tool you use to deploy retail copies, youll still have to activate all copies of xp and you need a valid key for each install.
    you should not be using the same key on two machines at anyone time,
    although this isnt a massive issue if you have coa's/licenses for all of them.

there is no way around activation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Thanks subway that's what I needed to hear. Thanks all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement