Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever have a pinched disc?

Options
  • 26-10-2006 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like I did some damage to myself. Anyone familiar with this? Ever do it to yourself cycling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

This sounds similar to what I have had in past. Basically your disc is a squidgy substance which can get squeezed out between two vertebrae. A bit like say cream in a cream bun. I think various things can happen from there depending on which disc was pinched. For me it was lower back. The symptoms being shooting pain all down my leg. The sciatic nerve, which runs down your back and legs near your vertebrae, was being affected by the excess 'squidge' from the pinched disc.

It is a fairly common injury in sports. Happened to me playing roller hockey. I continued cycling after it happened which was a bad idea. As cycling was adding to the injury by stretching the sciatic nerve even more (through the arch of your back when you cycle).

Docs advice was to avoid any surgical intervention (which is sometimes recommended) and just let the disc return to its normal shape. Which it did, took about 2-3 months, and I had to lay almost completely off the sports. Walking was about the size of it.

Cheers,
    -mem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

You should definitely get this checked out; I have a similar problem and it's extremely annoying/painful. A physio might be able to identify where exactly the problem is, but you may need an MRI to confirm. The usual treatment seems to be proper rest (like memorex did), maybe with some light stretching, and hope that it sorts itself out. If that doesn't work (like with me), you may have to look into surgery: I'll probably do this early next year.

Ironically enough, cycling is one of the few sports that doesn't seem to aggrevate the disc (at least in my case): twisting and impact causes all the problems.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I had this problem and an osteopath was able to help out. Not especially cheap but well worth it. Now free from pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I've had it checked out, in that I've been to the GP who diagnosed it. I was treating myself for muscle injury originally, which needs pretty much the exact same treatment. Doc advised rest and no strenuous exercise. Said I could start to cycle commute again (4.5km each way) so long as I took it easy, which I intend to.

Looks like no rugby for 2-3 months, maybe longer given that I'm front row - d'oh. Damn it, I just bought a new bike with the express purpose of some cycle training.

I'll head back to the doc, or call the physio in 2 weeks if some rest hasn't cleared it up a little.

Advertisement