Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mbna fraud?

Options
  • 26-10-2006 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

I've recieved a couple of emails recently from 'MBNA' asking to sign in etc which i believe to be frauds so didn't, but on logging in to my account today I get a message that I need to change my password. At this stage I just don't trust them, their online security seems amateurish to me, easily copied in other words. I link to a pic as example.
    http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6497/mb1dv6.jpg
    Anyone else had to change passwords on mbna,I'll phone in the morning to confirm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

you got this message after you logged in? did you check the website address when logging in? Even if it was a fake, why would phishers ask you to change the password on a dummy site when you've already provided real credentials?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

2 Espressi wrote:
    ..Even if it was a fake, why would phishers ask you to change the password on a dummy site when you've already provided real credentials?

Why not! - it adds to the illusion you are in the correct site & they are taking care of your account. Think about it, you are asked to change the Pwd, so you stop using the old one = leaves the scummers free to use it.

Meanwhile you keep trying to login with the "new pwd" & you can't see what they are up to until you get on to someone in customer service who eventually figures out what is going on. Meantime you are keeping the scammers in the luxury they have recently become accustomed to thanks to your generous donation of logon details.

Just another slant to keep reeling in the fishes.

Disclaimer - I'm not saying the MBNA site suffers from this problem, I don't know anything about it, I never read or open those emails. They might be legit, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

You can clearly see from the URL that this is the correct site.

If you are ever in any doubt go back to the main login (where you entered your old password) and enter an invalid password, if it accepts this then start to be suspicous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

masterK wrote:

If you are ever in any doubt go back to the main login (where you entered your old password) and enter an invalid password, if it accepts this then start to be suspicous.

Exactly! If the OP had even bothered to go to http://www.mbna.ie/ and clicked on "Account access" he would have seen it redirects to the site in his screenshot!

If you're that ignorant then frankly I have no sympathy if you *do* become a victim of phishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

eth0_ wrote:
    Exactly! If the OP had even bothered to go to http://www.mbna.ie/ and clicked on "Account access" he would have seen it redirects to the site in his screenshot!

If you're that ignorant then frankly I have no sympathy if you *do* become a victim of phishers.

I don't appreciate your tone,I asked a simple question 'has anyone else used mbna recently and did they have to change details'. Did you, if not kindly keep your sacarstic comments to yourself.I did go to account access and was redirected to the 'screenshot',which is why I asked the question in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

cant be that dopey if he uses firefox :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

masterK wrote:

urls can be faked. i signed up to some webspace before and one of the options was to hide the true url.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'm with MBNA meself.

Manually type www.bankcardservices.co.uk each time. Make sure you're Firewall & Antivirus are up to date.

Should never have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Would it be an idea to call MBNA and ask them about your account. - If it is a scam they would love to hear about it and will take appropriate measures.

It is unlikely they would or any financial institution ask you to change your password for no apparent reason. If you do so without calling to ask if its genuine you could be held responsible for any fraud activity on your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If you do get an iffy mail pop off an email to reportphishing@antiphishing.org and it will be dealt with fairly quickly ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement