Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gov funded language courses

• 26-10-2006 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

A chairde,

Earlier this year I attended an Irish course to improve mo theanga. I'm a broke student but I managed to scrape up enough money to join the course.

Personally, I think language courses for Irish nationals should be free or heavily subsidised by the government. A few of my friends love speaking the odd word but they won't go to Irish classes because they are all broke.

Do you think courses should be free?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They may argue we had it free for 14 years in school:)

I do agree with you though it would be great if there were heavily subsidised Irish Language courses available for adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

Moonbeam wrote:
    They may argue we had it free for 14 years in school:)

I do agree with you though it would be great if there were heavily subsidised Irish Language courses available for adults.

I laughted at the response - your totally right of course BUT it was the worst 14 years of teaching ever! Every other subject great. But the old, infirm and somtimes brain damaged teachers that taught it.......

I think it really is a great idea - and will certainly revive it! I would not pay for the repeat experience, but as a governement offer (SSIA thingy) I would be very proud! More proud then how my teachers made me hate them and it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yeah i think that'd be great. They're run for free in UCD by bord na gaeilge if anyone goes there and reads this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I completely agree that it was the worst 14 years of teaching ever and wonder how on earth they get away with it.

The Irish I have was learned in Irish college and via speaking it as a reuslt I am completely hopeless at writing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

You should set up an informal conversation group among your friends or put up a notice in your college. Try communicating using the little Irish you have and it is amazing how quickly it will come back. Bring along a dictionary and look up words you cant remember, you will find when you see the word in the dictionary as Gaeilge you will remember it.

An Irish language promoter/organiser I know has the mantra " The only way to learn Irish is to speak it, you wont learn to play an instrument by listening to it or play football by watching it - you need to practice, practice, practice" ( Or words to that effect - as Gaeilge!!!)

Obviously you will need formal classes or books to achieve fluency but you will definitely improve a lot by just speaking the bit you have and learning from each other. There are informal conversation groups in lots of Libraries and other venues as it is. Swords - Tuesday night, Balbriggan Monday and Friday Night . Try www.gaeilge.ie they might have info

• Advertisement
Advertisement