Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less Fireworks this year

Options
  • 26-10-2006 1:38am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody else noticed a big reduction in the amount of fireworks around the city this year.Are the guards doing a much better job this year and stopping them getting on the market...?I am aware its still a week to the big day but in previous years I have had to keep the dog in from early Oct and this year there just has not been the same volume of fireworks going off,well in my area this is the case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I have to say I have noticed the same thing (or not noticed as the case may be! Hard to say how much it has to do with the recent increase in fines that have been introduced, but I can't imagine its just a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Big crackdowns close to the main border routes have also helped.

Very quiet for this time of year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

They could still be hiding in the long grass with a big supply and flood the city closer to the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Out walking the dog last week and one was shot(rocket) across us bout 10 feet away.They were aiming them at a group of girls standing at the other side of a green not far from my house.

In all fairness the boys in blue came around pretty quick to deal with them.It didnt stop them for long though as they had a stash hidden somewhere.
    Firing them at cars and houses the little bastids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've only heard a handful of them going off so far, compared to other years its quite a reduction alright. A welcome change imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Yep an definiate change for the better, in past years it was like living in Iraq for the season of all halows.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I have also noticed that too. There are not as many going off as other years. Saying that I know a load of people that are wayed down with fireworks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The lads that usually bring them in from China are on their best behaviour atm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

CiaranC wrote:
    The lads that usually bring them in from China are on their best behaviour atm ;)
    More like "the lads from England". The border patrols help, as usually thats where a few people I know goto: they used to get them by the black bag full.

Also, the €10,000 fine has made people more wary about buying them, as the old fine was pretty low/not advertised, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Topic came up in Pub last night! Only when someone mentioned the lack of noise that I realised it myself. Proper order.

Maybe if community groups, residents associations etc organised a proper safe fireworks display on Halloween then the demand for illegal fireworks would drop anyway.
    You will still get the little toerag who will throm the banger into the shop etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

More like "the lads from England"
    They let Englishmen in the provos now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

CiaranC wrote:

Em Ciaran you should get your facts right.

The importer's of fireworks that most people go up to in the north are loyalists not the provo's.

I guess your going to say the drugs caught there too was the provo's :rolleyes:

€10,000 fine is nothing compared to what people do make on them.

CiaranC wrote:

There has been many an Englishman/Englishwoman in the Provo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

I think joebhoy you are missing the point

most people from the south would buy their fireworks from along the border or in jonesboro market

not many loyalists around there now are there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I guess your going to say the drugs caught there too was the provo's :rolleyes:

I'm not gonna start...

Theres been a fantastic reduction altogether in Artane too. I used to get them when I was in that 14/18 year old range, but I didn't throw/fire them at cars, houses or people!

I was reading in one of the papers today that your car is at risk if you are caught taken fireworks down from the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I haven't heard hardly any this year. Shockin.

To poster above - yeah McDowell said yesterday they can impound your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Does nobody else find it strange that fireworksare so bloody taboo here yet in every country they are sold no different fromalcohol or cigarettes, and without all the bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fireworks goin off in Tallaght non-stop since about 3 hours ago. Me poor cat must be up the wall!... if I could only find him... ¬_¬

Uh-oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Does nobody else find it strange that fireworksare so bloody taboo here yet in every country they are sold no different fromalcohol or cigarettes, and without all the bull****.

Yeah your totally right. They really should be made legal here, it would save all the crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Very difficult to make something legal which can potentially blow off your fingers / face.

Good to see that things have been tightened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

zabbo wrote:
    Good to see that things have been tightened up
    Yes a lot less in my area this year. I could never see what people find attractive about stupid sparkly noisey things and to make it worse, they are even willing to pay for them. :confused:
    I have noticed that the muppets who find them interesting are letting some of them off during the day this year. Seems a bit pointless. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

DMC wrote:
    Big crackdowns close to the main border routes have also helped.

Very quiet for this time of year.

I went through a customer check point in a freinds car last week, just outside newry, i was in a cls350 the ****ers asked me to open the boot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

yeah, such muppets that find light and sound displays interesting!

What muppets!

Tonight has been the most fireworks I've witnessed so far on the lead up to this halloween, and even then it was just what appeared to be a display up the Dublin/Wicklow mountains (could see it from the second floor window). Was actually quite a good display, as fireworks displays go anyway, but as usual it got boring quite quickly. After that, back to nice silence :)

zabbo wrote:
    Very difficult to make something legal which can potentially blow off your fingers / face.

Good to see that things have been tightened up.

Why not...drinking, smoking etc...plenty of dangerous things are legal.
    The catch with the fireworks is that they are legal everywhere else...how doessuch a contrast grow in two neighbouring countries?

You can't seriously compare fireworks to cigarettes or alcohol.
    Yes, alcohol and cigarettes are dangerous, but its not often that they're putting you,your property or those around you in immediate danger.
    Fireworks however, one slip, a bad fuse etc. and someone will be injured badly. Theres a very serious immediate risk associated with them and I would be completely against legalising them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

i think fireworks should be made legal to all responsible adults over the age of 25. now, thats older then me, and I fully understand that someone at the age of 25 would be less likely to be a in a situation where they might buy fireworks for someone under that age then I would.

By keeping the age limit at 25, and restricting the amount of fireworks to patrons (asking for a passport or proof of ID), they can be used by responsible adults in a responsible manner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You just get adults going out and buying them for their kids etc etc.

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote:
    You can't seriously compare fireworks to cigarettes or alcohol.
    Yes, alcohol and cigarettes are dangerous, but its not often that they're putting you,your property or those around you in immediate danger.
    Fireworks however, one slip, a bad fuse etc. and someone will be injured badly. Theres a very serious immediate risk associated with them and I would be completely against legalising them.

Sure, alcohol doesn't put anyone in immediate danger.

You're response just helps make my point.

Advertisement