Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have textual relationships more and more..

• 26-10-2006 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Do you conduct your relationship and/or affairs via text mostly.

Has communication reached an all time low when it should be at an all time high with advanced forms of communication..i have push mail, i have wireless, i have bluetooth, infra red, firewire (lie), email on demand, pda with email access.

Its so easy to avoid ''possibly'' embarassing situations that are good for your own self development. Or is it a good honest soundboard where you can sit and think about what you are really thinking instead of telling them what they want to hear cause there standing in front on you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i prefer to speak to someone

text messages are only for situations where you cant talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mossy Monk wrote:

Agreed, I rarely use text messages at all much anymore, just if I'm late in town or stuck somewhere, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Text messages are only for situations where you are extremely drunk and talking on the phone could possibly result in the other person thinking they are recieving a call from someone in a mental institute.
    Calling someone for <60 seconds is cheaper than a text. depending on network ofc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you are trying to maintain a distance relationship, chat, email, boards, and PMs are useful. And if you are creatively playful, can add much to a relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Text messages are a sorry excuse for human interaction. If 90% of interaction is body language, how can one interact on a personal level via a handheld device. Give me a face to face conversation any day!

I spent 7 hours with my girlfriend today. We sat in a lounge drinking coffee, with occassional cigarette breaks, for the duration. We talked about more than a year of texting could have covered, and it was conveyed properly. I rest my case.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, texting has its uses and I do text her regularly when we don't see one another, but it's far from my preference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭OliviaM

If you are trying to maintain a distance relationship, chat, email, boards, and PMs are useful. And if you are creatively playful, can add much to a relationship.

:) I agree! cause i'm in that situation right now. it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Text messages are great, use them daily and pushs up my bill, work on the road so spend alot of time with a mobile stuck to my ear so if contacting someone on personal one I will usually just send a text, also GF over on Oz at the moment so its the easiest way to communicate. Skype is also a great invention and yahoo can be handy but she is not able to use the internet as much as me(BB, LAN and 3g card so nearly always logged on)

Also some dirty txt are alway nice to get, just have to make sure some prat doesnt start going thru your phone!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i hate texting. much prefer to call someone. my gf loves it for some bizarre reason. this program has saved my life (by which i mean loads of money)

i hate texting. much prefer to call someone. my gf loves it for some bizarre reason. this program has saved my life (by which i mean loads of money)

Yeah great believer in this programs, use it to txt GF in Oz, so handy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Txting has its up side cheaper and all that, But I sometimes would rather someone to take the time out to just call me..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Mossy Monk wrote:

Agree completely - I would rather spend a couple of minutes speaking & then get on with my life than spend hrs texting back & forth - it certainly has it's uses but if I can speak to someone face to face or pick up a phone & call them, I'd much, much, much rather do that. :)

watsgone wrote:
    Txting has its up side cheaper and all that

what network are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 molypiper

there are advantages to texting like you're able to tell what you can't say in person. but texting is time consuming and is good only for people who aren't busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

UUGH texting!
    I was around before mobiles and texting so i got used to direct communication.
    Facial expression and feeling are worth so much more than texts.

texting in an excuse not to develop communication skills

UUGH texting!
    I was around before mobiles and texting so i got used to direct communication.
    Facial expression and feeling are worth so much more than texts.

texting in an excuse not to develop communication skills

Trying ringing a mobile in Oz for a while and I tell you will soon get used to txting!!! only people with no communication skills would say it doesnt develop comms skills, I txt alot but get paided for been able to talk to people.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I am a textaholic - i send roughly 1600 - 1800 a month if not more (O2 staff have actually laughed at me!!). I enjoy the odd phone call but then again it depends on with whom i am communicating.

If they are texters too i text them or they text me, if they are phone call people - i call them. But generally i would text first to make sure i am not calling at a bad time and they can reply to my text at their leisure. But texts or calls are not in lieu of meeting up, the face to face is most important too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Trinity1 wrote:
    I am a textaholic - i send roughly 1600 - 1800 a month if not more

I send...3750 monthly according to the calculator.

Just like texting. :)

I mean you can't be talking 24/7 on the phone and with Meteor free texts its a win win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

HavoK wrote:

I mean you can't be talking 24/7 on the phone and with Meteor free texts its a win win situation.

I just checked mine and I send 4670 a month. :eek:

I love texting but I really do need to get a life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

HavoK wrote:

Do you mind if i mention your name to O2 the next time they are laughing at me when i call to ask why my phone bills are so high!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 murrayeel

texting has beauty of its own and it helps in deepening and strengthening long distance relationships.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Mossy Monk wrote:
    what network are you on?

Vodafone, bundles all the way

I'm a textaholic only because of meteors free txt messaging and the fact that the majority of my friends are fellow .. er .. meteorians too.

Otherwise I wouldn't txt as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Trinity1 wrote:
    Do you mind if i mention your name to O2 the next time they are laughing at me when i call to ask why my phone bills are so high!! :D

The best part is is only costs me 20.00 a month :D

God bless Meteor...

HavoK wrote:
    The best part is is only costs me 20.00 a month :D

God bless Meteor...

Damn tootin'

Heck, there's even times when I'd be serving a customer in work whilst txting. And who says men can't multi-task, HAH!

takola wrote:
    I just checked mine and I send 4670 a month. :eek:

I love texting but I really do need to get a life!

6.276 texts per hour over a 24 hour period :eek:

i'd be lucky to send that many in a fortnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

well i send about 30 a day... pretty much all to my GF. She's in college so its the only way to communiate with her during that time but a lot of txts are after hours aswell. Its just the way we do it ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hmm, since meteor free texts I have (/looks at message counter) recieved 19,519 messages and sent 8,535.
    All that money saved and all those pointless texts!

Anyway, they are great for keeping in touch with the gf and some friends as they are far away.
    If I could see them in person texting wouldn't really be done that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Texting = yawn! I go though about 100 messages a month, tops, and usually they're to organise meeting someone face to face. Texts are not for conversation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

watsgone wrote:
    Vodafone, bundles all the way
    the other networks both have bundles and they're cheaper

assuming you mean ready to go voda charges €8 for 100, o2 charges €7.50 for 100 and meteor charges €7.50 for 150 :)

edit: that info could be out of date but i don't think so

• Advertisement

checking the cost of an o2 bundle on o2.ie

is it down for anyone else?

Advertisement