Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart 3G decision next Tuesday

Options
  • 26-10-2006 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

Court to rule on Smart appeal

By Vivion Kilfeather
    THE High Court will give judgment next week on Smart Telecom’s bid to overturn the decision of the Commission for Communciations Regulation not to grant it the lucrative 3G mobile phone licence.

The case before Mr Justice Peter Kelly was heard over 14 days and he reserved judgment. His decision will be given next Tuesday.

Smart Telecom brought the proceedings after ComReg’s decision last February not to award the licence to Smart Mobile Limited because of what ComReg claimed was a failure by Smart to provide the €100 million performance guarantee bond in a form acceptable to it within the specified deadline.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=business-qqqm=business-qqqa=business-qqqid=16727-qqqx=1.asp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

So Smart "fail to provide" stuff to ComReg "in an acceptable format" "by a specified deadline" and get a licence pulled.

If you check ComReg's website you'll see lots of reports about LLU, GLUMP and fault corrections where eircom have "failed to provide"...."by a specific deadline".

Not saying it's right for either telco to do things wrong or miss important deadlines, but surely be to God there's something amiss if one telco ends up in court to reclaim what they'd previously been offered while the other goes on its merry way without consequence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

eircom have comreg around their little finger
    its a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'm somewhat anxious about this. If Smart lose the license I would think it is goodbye Smart. This judgement will have wide ranging implications on the Irish telecoms market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What is the situation with Smart now? Are they getting rid of phones and just doing broadband, which was one thing I heard? All the mistruths from eircom and rumours from other places makes it confusing.

So basically, if they do win this case, are they still in a position to actually do something with it?

Smart are dropping their CPS voice product. Broadband customers will still get voice services from them.

If they get the license it will turn around their fortunes greatly. There will be a large amount of investors behind a new mobile operation.

• Advertisement

To translate paulm17781, they're dumping their phone-only packages (which was basically reselling you eircom's product, and which probably made SFA income considering they were paying eircom wholesale prices for the lines) and concentrating on offering their own products, which includes combined phone + broadband and the SmartVision product.

Don't expect eircom's ads to clarify this for you, though.....they (and some newspaper articles and radio programmes) are also guilty for giving incorrect details regarding Smart's "demise".

The main reason the 3G licence is so important to them is because it's very difficult for them to get people to sign up for their phone + broadband packages (despite the price and the much-superior package) because, courtesy of eircom, most people and businesses have to change their phone number, which they are obviously reluctant to do.

And since ComReg want the 3G licence back, a weaker Smart is an easier opponent, so I can't see ComReg forcing eircom to implement LLU + GLUMP (allowing you to change provider without changing number) until ComReg have the 3G licence back.

It stinks, but hey, welcome to Ireland.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Liam Byrne wrote:
    T

And since ComReg want the 3G licence back, .

they want to give it to eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

paulm17781 wrote:
    I'm somewhat anxious about this. If Smart lose the license I would think it is goodbye Smart. This judgement will have wide ranging implications on the Irish telecoms market.
    Smart has already written off their legal costs from this case, and Brendan Murtagh wouldn't be able to buy the company for €1 if the major shareholders had high expectations that the company would be holding a 3G license shortly after he buys them out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Smart were out of cash and out of borrowing options, they didn't have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Foxwood wrote:
    Smart has already written off their legal costs from this case, and Brendan Murtagh wouldn't be able to buy the company for €1 if the major shareholders had high expectations that the company would be holding a 3G license shortly after he buys them out.

Murtagh will be paying 40,000,001 Euro as he then is reponsible for the debt.

• Advertisement

Foxwood wrote:

While I agree with this. I can't see why he would buy them otherwise....

bealtine wrote:
    they want to give it to eircom
    I (and thousands of others) suspect that this is indeed the case, but there's no definite proof that it's the case.

The eircom/ComReg/Smart fiasco might give ComReg an excuse to do just this, though, stating viability concerns as their judgement criteria.

Oddly enough, many newspapers at the weekend highlighted that Smart were in credit with eircom when eircom pulled the plug......didn't hear many radio stations or other sources pick up on it, though.....

While I would view as important the viability of whatever company gets the 3G licence, bear in mind that Smart were already awarded it - as it stands, it is theirs - I'd also like to see Smart retain it for a number of reasons, not least what they achieved in the broadband market against all the odds, and if you factor in what their package and pricing forced others to do, their approach would be a seriously welcome addition to the marketplace in terms of quality and value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

:(

And its official, Smart lose the licence:

http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/1031/smart.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

govinda wrote:
    :(

And its official, Smart lose the licence:

http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/1031/smart.html
    I'm disapointed but not at all surprised. Smart are the only competitive telco operator in the Irish marketplace (Perhaps magnet will step up to the plate now?).

If their licence doesn't go to eircom then I'll eat my hat! This whole affair leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

What will happen the license now? Another auction/lottery or something?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

WizZard wrote:
    What will happen the license now? Another auction/lottery or something?

Nope, it'll be awarded to Eircom/Meteor :(
    :mad:

****e! :mad:

At least there's some good news in that article, in that Brendan Murtagh's bid got the all-clear and Smart are still in business......
    Cabaal wrote:
    Nope, it'll be awarded to Eircom/Meteor
    Cabaal, is that definite, or are you just assuming like the rest of us, that it's a done deal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I think the rules of the competition would mean that if the Smart bid was invalid, then it would actually have to be offered to the next placed bidder (as they would now be the highest bidder)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Which, naturally, would be eircom/Meteor?
    Hmmm...

Perhaps I should be purchasing a tin foil hat, as that is one conspiracy I can easily believe in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Comreg comment here

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/PR311006.pdf

I would think that they will now offer the license to the next placed bidder, who may or may not accept it. Terms and conditions apply, your home is at risk if you do not keep up etc etc etc :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Well, at least now we have stick to beat ComReg with when Eircom misses their deadlines?

I smell an even bigger rat than I originally thought:

ComReg report on LLU & GLUMP : "At this juncture, the facility is primarily being utilised by Magnet Entertainment and orders are progressing, albeit at relatively low volumes."

No mention of Smart there, despite it being mentioned in the previous report in August:

"3 LLU operators are actively providing LLU based services to customers, namely, BT Ireland, Magnet Entertainment and Smart Telecom."

And today's grab-back of the licence is very harsh for non-compliance, considering that eircom haven't bothered complying with any of ComReg's requests (just scan through the ComReg website documents re GLUMP, LLU and Faults and count the number of times "not acceptable" appears).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Eircom is in control of everything in its territory – Comreg, the political process, even, it would appear, the legal system. eircom wants Smart’s 3G license – eircom gets smart’s 3G license.

The “establishment” can CYA themselves with conditions and small print, but the bottom line is that if Smart had it’s 3G license confirmed today, the required funding and expertise would have chased the company to come on-board from multiple sources, as per the Digifone experience. The mobile market would have got more competitive. And broadband would have become more competitive as a result.

Instead, all we get is another nail in the coffin of a competitive telecommunications marketplace.

.probe

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hornet

probe wrote:
    if Smart had it’s 3G license confirmed today, the required funding and expertise would have chased the company to come on-board from multiple sources, as per the Digifone experience.
    I have doubt that it would have been similar to the Digifone times. Back when Digifone got the licence it was the gold digger times of mobile phone business. Now things have changed. The mobile phone penetration is such that a mobile phone licence is not anymore a guarantee to success. The required market share has to be acquired through tough price competition and Vodafone and Telefonica would definitely have more power in such a competitive environment.

In fact it seems that both Smart management and the investors were hoping to replicate the Digifone story of emerging like Phoenix from the ashes of bankruptcy. They seem to forget that the market conditions have changed SUBSTANTIALLY.
    The mobile market would have got more competitive. And broadband would have become more competitive as a result.
    I don't see the direct link here.

Yes, the mobile market would have got more competitive, but as Eircom will have to win market share as well, they might have to find a competitive side as well! Keep in mind that the P&T/Telecom Eireann mindset that turned Eircom in this so emotionally criticised company is in the heads of the OLD employees (and there will be less and less of them). All new (post-Telecom Eireann) employees and probably the large majority of the new Eircom Mobile employees will have NOTHING to do with the old Telecom Eireann days, but will just behave like all large corporates that have an strong position. Greedy, arrogant, and ignorant as much as possible to the end users.

Why broadband would have become more competitive, however, I can't see. Smart would have been under serious financial pressure during the build-up process and for a long time of the service roll-out. A financial pressure and situation that the Smart management hasn't handled well up to now.

--Hornet

Hornet wrote:
    Yes, the mobile market would have got more competitive, but as Eircom will have to win market share as well, they might have to find a competitive side as well!
    Don't they already have market share in the form of Meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Meteor 2G.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Hornet wrote:
    Why broadband would have become more competitive, however, I can't see.
    Mobile broadband akin to what Vodafone are offering now I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well Eircom Mobile / Meteor is a small player in a very different position to eircom fixedline business.

The key thing that ComReg needs to do in the mobile sector is to get these Virtual Mobile Operator licences up and running asap.

At least our mobile duopoly is being taken on by Meteor and 3 very different to the landline situation.

It's a pity that Smart have had it so tough. But, it probabally makes sense to have meteor in a position where it can offer 3G services in terms of encouraging good competition.

Otherwise, meteor would have been limited to voice and slow data. It would have given Voda and O2 a huge advantage.

3, having a 3G only licence, can still push forward with 3G services.

Meteor would have been left as a 2.5G network for ever.

The more networks with 3G up and running, the more likely we'll see some interesting products.
    So far, nothing very innovative has been launched in Ireland and I really don't think mobile phone browser based TV and video calling will be the "killer aps"

Undoubtedly eircom's the bully in the fixed line market. However, it's an absolute mino in the mobile market thesedays.

Vodafone in particular makes eircom look like a corner shop standing beside a Tesco Extra hypermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Solair wrote:

Meteor would have been left as a 2.5G network for ever.

I fail to see the reason why Meteor was not simply allowed to upgrade their network to 3G. (Licensing issues aside)
    Solair wrote:
    Vodafone in particular makes eircom look like a corner shop standing beside a Tesco Extra hypermarket.

And we all know how good Tesco are for business, overpriced, rude and understocked.

Advertisement