Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 card or 2

Options
  • 26-10-2006 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭

I have a HIS X800GTO 256mb at the mo

but im wondering if i was to buy a sli setup would that be better,
    this setup involving 2 x 66000gts (think there 128mb)

would this be an upgrade or a sidegrade or downgrade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Memory is a little hazy on this but if I can recall the X800GTO was roughly on par with a single 6600GT so yes 2x6600GT in SLI would be a step up but only if you can get them cheap enough.

For example a single 7900GS would be faster than the SLI 6600GT setup and can be gotten for €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Another point to make about SLI is that it's performance varies from game to game and it can take a while for the drivers to be updated to take advantage of sli in new games.

Vs a good card that has fairly perdictable performance in each game.

Also with SLI you have double the fan noise and you have to have the psu to power the extra card also.

Personally I perfer 1 single good card: you don't ever worry about it's performance, you know how good it should run roughly as opposed to SLI which might run well or it might not.

Also getting one good card means that in the future you can add another one in SLI to it if the prices go down a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭Joeface

both Valid points I must admit.
    I think I will stick with , HIS did provide the nice overclock tool so I will leave the upgrade for awhile more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

It might be easier to go with an upgrade if anything secondhand ever came up in Limerick on the adverts.ie board !!!!!!!!!!!!! , sorry , just me venting my frustration at no bloody AMD 64 chips or graphics cards coming up since I got a few quid to spend ...............

Advertisement