Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic/loft stairs...

Options
  • 26-10-2006 10:59am

...still stuck on this problem. Opening into attic is 70 x 70, but all stairs provided by Woodies, BnQ, Stira etc. require much more length (usually about 120). To extend the attic would require me cutting through a joist and plasterboards and a ceiling, which is kinda beyond me and could end in disaster.

The attic is only a storage space really, so don't want anything state of the art. But the wife is always moving clothes and stuff up and down and so need something more than a step ladder too. Anyone have a similar problem? Any store out there stock anything like a dropdown ladder that would enable me get in to that space?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

We have the same problem. I have a 3-way ladder, which I use to access the loft via our standard opening. The missus wants a stira, but our opening cannot be cut to stira dimensions as it's in a narrow corridor that runs perpendicular to the joists.

So we will probably get Stira to come and cut a new opening in our bedroom ceiling (if she gets her way, and wants to pay for it ...).

/M.

Manuel wrote:
    our opening cannot be cut to stira dimensions as it's in a narrow corridor that runs perpendicular to the joists.

That's exactly it, joists run across the space above the upstairs hallway. Kinda annoying. Though I appreciate that cutting a joist is not the biggest job in the world, I know I will screw it up and do some irreperable damage to something that holds the whole roof together. Will Stira cut a new opening, they didn't seem too interested on the phone today and just said 'no can do' when they heard the opening dimensions.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

You could always elongate a cover feature around a small ladder, this would give you a drop down feature of a sheeted panel say 8 feet long 16 inches wide below your existing ceiling. As the ladder would effectively fold up to the bottom of the ceiling , and not into it.

Slightly awkward , but could be done with a bit of ingenuity

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Stira were happy to cut a new opening for me, for 50/55 Euro extra if I remember correctly. I'm not sure about the practicalities of having two attic openings in the house, contributing to extra heat loss for example, but it's the only option for us if herself wants to access the loft. I wouldn't let Stira or anyone else touch my ceiling joists. I have the quote somewhere from Stira but it was ~450 all in and then ~50 extra to cut a new opening. It's on the long finger for the moment, so the attic is a place of refuge where the missus can't get me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

People seem to think Stira are the only ones who do this, just because they were on Late Late Show about 15 yrs ago.

If you are in Mid West region, call Superior Attic Ladders. They installed my system for less that Eur400 (including enlarging the opening). I didn't have the issue of being perpendicular to beams though. Call them and they might be able to do it.

• Advertisement

If you are in Mid West region, call Superior Attic Ladders. They installed my system for less that Eur400 (including enlarging the opening). I didn't have the issue of being perpendicular to beams though. Call them and they might be able to do it.

In the South West myself so might give them a shout alright. Thanks.

Advertisement