Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading RAM

Options
  • 26-10-2006 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a Dell 8250 with 512 MB of RAM. I'm looking to upgrade this possibly by another 1G. It says on the Dell site that the type I need is
    PC800 or PC1066 RDRAM (non-ECC)
    - when I look prices for these they look outrageous, especially compared to other types (eg 520 euro for another 2x512MB cards) Why are these so expensive? Am I missing something?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

RDRAM was a type of memory created by a company called Rambus that was intended to be the replacement for SDRAM but for many reasons not really worth going into it didn't work out.

It is now a rather exotic item hence the expensive prices and poor availability, you could try ebay but Shop4memory is the best place to look as they still stock these type of DIMM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Jees 8T8 you are everywhere - that explains a bit alright - it might be easier in the long run to buy a new pc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

TheBazman wrote:
    Jees 8T8 you are everywhere - that explains a bit alright - it might be easier in the long run to buy a new pc

He's like a horney teched up goat, everytime you look around he's there either eating or humping. I'm sure I was going somewhere when I started typing this. Oh yeah.....Stay out of my damm liquire cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have a look here, at point number 4 for more information on Rambus RAM. *shudder* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Check adverts - user there had 256mb and a terminator for the other slot, but I suppose this would be no good if you have 512 and only have 2 slots.

to be honest prob handier to sell that machine as is - 512mb ram is grand for general use - and buy a new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers folks

Advertisement