Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It just will not go away

Options
  • 26-10-2006 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

*sigh*

We are a broadband and phone customer of Smart.

My wife just rang me and said that a bill came in the door this morning from eircom. I haven't seen the bill yet.

A few days after our phone was disconnected by, an eircom salesman called to our house and, by virute of lies and misinformation, convinced my wife to sign over to them and also to sign up for one of their talktime packages. We had a chat about this and knowing that we were entitled to cancel within the cooling off period, we did so 2 or 3 days later, by telephone. Before the conversation ended, we were told that the order was cancelled.

Knowing eircom's track record, we rang back the following day to confirm this, which they did. Still being uneasy, we thought we would ask for this confirmation in writing. So, we rang again on the third day to ask for this. We were told that this was not necessary, that the person was looking at our details on the screen in front of her and that it said "cancelled". So, we left it at that.

And today the bill came in.

My wife rang Smart and was made to go through the verification process again. WHY IS THIS? WE ARE ALREADY WITH SMART.

I feel like ripping the whole lot out and throwing it in the street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

You could write to comreg and complain! I'm sure they'll get right on it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The Director of Consumer Affairs might be your best bet.

Another option would be to contact your local radio station and get them to do a show on it; I'm sure eircom would respond to them and explain that it was all a misunderstanding....

One thing you could try, though, is not paying them; let's see if they'll send guys around to the exchange to pull out the plug :eek: Keep your mobile charged, though, as apparently this leaves you without any 999 calls.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It sounds like no contract exists between you and eircom. Tell eircom either sort it out or you'll be taking legal advice on the issue.

Out of curiosity: Was your wife named on the Smart bill?

If she wasn't eircom had no business taking instructions for a 3rd party either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Solair wrote:
    It sounds like no contract exists between you and eircom. Tell eircom either sort it out or you'll be taking legal advice on the issue.

Out of curiosity: Was your wife named on the Smart bill?

If she wasn't eircom had no business taking instructions for a 3rd party either.
    Guess I will have to threaten leagal action and see what happens.

It was/is my name on the bill. Her signature on the eircom form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

You do not owe Eircom even a single penny. Whatever you do, do not give them anything, as you do not owe them anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The main thing to remember is that eircom are just a service provider. Treat the like you would treat your local supermarket and don't let yourself be bullied.

I find that telecoms companies often behave like as if they're the revenue commissioners in the way they deal with their customers.

Definitely seek legal advice if you get no where, particularly if it's a large bill or they threaten to collect upon it, deny service or tarnish your credit history.

It's just unacceptable behaviour.

Also, might be worth looking at the office of the director of consumer affairs as some of the issues may be outside the remit of comreg (thankfully!)

You might also consider replying to their bill with a very strong letter and a photocopy of the original stating that you have no intention of paying it as you have no contract with eircom plc, did not request their services, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Another eircom bill came today. They are just ignoring me. Will have to go to the bother of taking legal action now.

Was also talking to Smart back then and they were to switch me back again. Went through the process and did the recorded agreement thing. Still with eircom so looks like Smart don't give a sh*t either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

shayser wrote:
    Another eircom bill came today. They are just ignoring me. Will have to go to the bother of taking legal action now.

Was also talking to Smart back then and they were to switch me back again. Went through the process and did the recorded agreement thing. Still with eircom so looks like Smart don't give a sh*t either.

Eircom have to release the line again before Smart can do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sounds like there is a default of ericom.. so when you switched back to eircom (or any other provider), and cancelled, you were defaulted with eircom. This may be legal/above board, I don't know. Ring ComReg consumer line and ask them if it is.

Doucument who made what calls to eircom and when, detailing date/time (get an itemised bill if you have to) and send the details in a registered letter to eircom customer services putting a definite date (at least 10 working days) as a demand for resolution/refund. If you don't get a satisfactory response, then I'm thinking Small Claims Court to recoup your costs from eircom.. but at that stage you'll at least want to go to your local Citizens' Advice Bureau, if not proper legal advice).

.cg

Advertisement