Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricting PI Search by Google

Options
  • 26-10-2006 11:16am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

I know in PI you can post as an anonymous username, but sometimes I don't like doing that. Some posters who do know you IRL can often give great advice from the little bit they do know about you away from your PC.

Just wondering though, could Robots.txt be altered so google can't search PI posts. Some people mightn't want their questions on PI to be searched by google?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If they are posting their questions on the internet then they should be aware that it is in the public domain. I appreciate the thought behind this but it's also nice to have such questions searchable on Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Doing it through robots.txt wouldn't be practical anyway, given the URI structure used by vBulletin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

You're taking that chance anyway when you post in PI, but with the internet, coincidental circumstances can arise, but with anonymity nobody can point the finger at you and say it's you. It's a chance we all take.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

This makes no sense. PI is a public forum.

Advertisement