Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a bad time to lay grass seed

Options
  • 26-10-2006 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I have massive bald patches in my lawn from the dog running around in the same area and a paddling pool the kids had down during the summer is this a bad time of year to plant grass seed and if I can lay it which do I buy and how do I do it? Complete novice here!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Your kinda near the end of the best time to plant grass seed, about a month ago would have been perfect, but if you do it now, it may still make some headway before the Winter kicks in.

If you do go ahead, you can get big boxes from most DIY outlets for about €15 or so which would cover 50 sq metres. Since your only doing patches then you'll have plenty to spread on if you follow the instructions on the back. Prepare the ground by rakeing the surface until the soil is soft and has a nice loam. It will be hard to do this if its wet, and you should wait until it has dried a bit.

From there spread the seed and rake in while making sure the ground is the same level as the surrounding grass. For the price of a box of seed you may as well give it ago, but make sure to keep the dog away as any slight walking on the new grass while its starting out would make it very difficult to survive. Also don't use your regular mower while cutting it for the first few times as the power of an electric mower will suck the grass up before it has had time to root.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

There's new grass seed you can get that comes up in about half the time of the old grass seed. It's specifically for patching bald spots and works well. Might be useful at this time of year where you need fast growth.

A little expensive but well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Where can I get it and whats it called?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

foxy06 wrote:
    Where can I get it and whats it called?

It's called Westland Fast acting lawn seed and available at the usual places i.e. Woodies/Atlantic etc.

Advertisement