Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Toyota Auris (Corolla replacement)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

That was originally just the weird looking 5-door liftback made in the UK - the 3-door hatchback was still made in Japan AFAIK. Dunno what happened with the last generation though.

And the small hatchbacks always had slightly different names in Japan - from '84 till about '95 they were the Corolla FX, then I don't know (don't know if they even sold the one we got from '97-'02 over there), then it was the Corolla Runx in '01. The liftbacks we got from '87-'97 were derived from the Toyota Sprinter, which apparently was never sold in that form in Japan (they got them in saloons and estates). The saloon was always the real Corolla.

The weird looking 5 door hatchback was reported to be a 90s interpretation of the best selling Austin I300 from the 60s.
    This and the 3 door version were never sold in Japan. There is a car that looks like the 3 door that you are thinking of but it is called the Corsa. It also looks like a Suzuki Baleno 3 door from the same period. The previous Corolla saloon was first sold in Japan in I995.
    In addition to the later Corolla Runx, which earlier versions had the Corolla sedan headlights and grille as opposed to the later style that we have over here, there was another identical car to this hatchback called the Allex.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I think that mindset is changing and people are starting to buy estates now more than ever before

People are actually moving away from estates to MPV's, only premium estates are becoming more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

The Auris is already on sale in Japan through the Netz Dealer network.

http://toyota.jp/auris

Advertisement