Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vandalism at Balbriggan Train Station

• 26-10-2006 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a growing problem with acts of vandalism or theft of the bikes at Balbriggan train station. (Possibly there is a problem with the cars too, but I cycle there every day, so I only know what's been happening with the bikes.)

Over the past few weeks, any time that my bike or my partner's bike is left at the station later than 7pm, something seems to have happened to the bikes. On most occasions, the mudguards and been removed and either taken or just thrown on the ground nearby. Then last night, I got back to the station at 11.10pm to find that the rear tyre on my bike and ALL of the other bikes at the station had been punctured. I intend to file a report at the Garda station on my way home this evening, but is there anything else that can be done? I don't think anything will come of the report to the Garda station this evening, but I just want the incident reported so that if there is a growing problem (which I think there is), there will be a record of it and it will be easier to make a case to improve security at the station.

Has anyone else experienced this? And should I expect it to get worse as the winter goes on? The incidents have definitely increased over the past month or so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Sue CIE. They have no security cameras any where in the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

sue them for a punctured tyre? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

I sympathise with your problem. I'm lucky enough to be near enough to walk to the station.
    They lock up in the station @ 7 and there are always kids hanging around when you get off the later trains.
    You are tight to report it to the gardai and and at least you're prepared for their apathy.
    It might be worth trying to have a word with the station master and ask him what they if they plan to do anything about the vandalism at their station but he may also hit you with the old one about your bike/car being parked at your risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I live in London for many years and a scheme called the secure stations scheme was set up between many stakeholders, British Transport Police, Train Operating Companies and with local residents who used the station to commute to work , they reduced anti-social behaviour with ticket inspections, plain cloths Police Officers actually travelling on the trains and anti-social behaviour orders put in place for offenders or repeat offenders.

Upon returning to Dublin 2 years ago I see anti-social behaviour every day on the DART and DART stationsand am appalled at the lack of Garda resporces going into Policing on the Dart, Luas and mainline rail stations.

Clontarf DART station went through a similiar problem of theft of pedal cycles and graffiti and drug use at the station,plus teenagers drinking on a Saturday night before they went into Barcode in the Westwood complex.

The problem is the criminals use the transport system so are constantly trageting each station alonfg the DART and mainline stations so it is hard for the Gardai to catch them in the act sort of speak.

However CIE have improved lighting at Clontarf and provided CCTV linked into Connolly station and they have provided secure area for bicycles where the station staff lock at all times. I also see security guards at Connolly station STT, I think they are called which is welcomed but they need to patrol through the carriages to reassure the public.

In London they have the British Transport Police who Police the Railways in England, they are a dedicated Police for the Railways,we need a section set up in the Garda immediately and this should be part of the forces objective in their Policing Plan , you should any crime/s to the Gardai so its on record with a PULSE crime reference number and report to your local TD if nothing is being done.
    You should also report anti-social behaviour to the Station Manager responsible for Balbriggan, try Connolly Station.

This country is gone soft on these teenage tear-aways, they respect no-one because they dont even respect themselves, look at Moyross where the scum are forcing the decent people in that area to move out.

Hope this helps, good luck with the pundets in CIE (Monolith)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Thanks blueeyedboy.

I went to the garda station on Thursday evening on my way home, and the guard I met was very nice, but he admitted there was little could be done unless they catch them in the act. However, I do feel that by having these petty crimes on record, I'll have a stronger case to make to my local politicians when they come calling. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jack O'Bauer

Absolutely, e-mail all the local TD's and give out stink. You'll probably get more out of them than the gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

dubmick wrote:
    sue them for a punctured tyre? lol
    Three words. Small. Claims. Court.

The DART and trains need some Guardian Angels:

153547402_a2270fcd65.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

There was a car with Rail Security on the side parked in front of the station at around 10pm on Thursday. Not sure how long they were there for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I've lived in Balbriggan for 3 years now and have had the lights from my bike nicked and had a bike nicked from outside the station. Station master doesn't seem to care. Cops don't seem to care either. Still..I've lived in worse areas!..Mind you...If I ever see my bike being cycled around Balbriggan I pity the bloke who's on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Had my bike nicked from the Balbriggan train station about a year ago and my dad saw it the next day in the harbour. They buckled the wheels and threw it in the drink. Pure vandalism, knackers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement