Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerobars

Options
  • 26-10-2006 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Have you got these on your racer? They look cool and very comfortable. Are they worth it. I find when im in the normal position (hands on drops) my neck gets tired quite quickly. It would be great to have another position.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have the Profile Design Airstryke aerobars. The arm brackets lift up (spring loaded) so I have access to the top part of the bars.
    Yes, they look cool and they are comfortable.
    Your neck will strained in aerobars, just like when you are in the drops. Continued use of either will strengthen your neck and reduce the muscle tiredness. Like drops, they are initially tough on your back, being stretched more than normal.

Worth it? If you are doing (traffic free) duathlons/triathlons you will have ample opportunity to use them and they do improve your aerodynamics. You'll especially notice it when heading into the wind.
    I don't recommend using them in day-to-day circumstances where other traffic is near. You don't have access to your brakes while in the aerobars, so your reaction time is considerably slower in an emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Im glad to hear the strength will improve in my neck. Do I need to do neck exercises? I have a book ordered so I hope there will be plenty of that sort of info in it.

Well, I will be starting to cycle in the mornings soon. There will not be much traffic then and the roads I will be using will be good. Its a long stretch of bypass with a nice hard shoulder. Theres lots of wind on it too so the aerodynamic aspect will help. I should get plenty of opportunity to use it.

What does it feel like using the aerobars? Is your sense of balance different and does it take long to get used to it?

When your using your drop bars or aerobar do you keep your head tilted to try and see some distance in front of you or do you keep it down so you can just see the couple of metres in front of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

junii wrote:
    What does it feel like using the aerobars? Is your sense of balance different and does it take long to get used to it?
    I was a little wobbly at first. Start off in safe locations.
    junii wrote:
    When your using your drop bars or aerobar do you keep your head tilted to try and see some distance in front of you or do you keep it down so you can just see the couple of metres in front of you?
    I tend to look up a lot, too nervous that I'll hit something if I don't; though I take frequent breaks and look down, to stretch my neck/back muscles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

You'll wobble all over the place at first, and it's damn scary, but after a while it's like second nature. I had them on my bike while i was training for the dublin triathlon, and i've taken them off since, and i do miss them.

Your neck and back will ache at first, but like everything, it gets better.

Just take a long straight stretch of quiet road and slowly cruise on them, keep looking up. Confidence takes time, but after a while you'll love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

One thing to consider though junii is that you _are_ just starting off and so you don't have to go mad on the accessories. Most racers _don't_ have aerobars and cycle fine. I'd get used to plain old cycling, and the drops (it does take a while), before considering adding aerobars. Give it a few months. I was considering them myself when I first got drops (indeed may still get them as I plan on doing triathlons) but the neck/back/arm problems all went away simply through more cycling and more use of the drops.

My natural tendency _is_ to look down while in the drops, especially as I wear glasses and so am looking over the tops of them (thinking of getting contacts for this very reason.) You really have to combat this though and just tilt your head back or you really will hit something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Yeah, I will hold off. Theres more important things I could spend my money on at the moment. In the future, probably.

Thanks.

Advertisement