Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Key for a wireless connection???

• 26-10-2006 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

Im trying to set up a wireless connection at home...

I thought it would be simple enough, but Im at it an for 2 hours now.

I ran the disk, and the signal is there, but It wont connect. when I try to connect, it keeps asking me for a key. (not sure what they want)

Has anyone got any ideas?
    Enter the key in the “Key” box and select the key to use in
    the “Key Index” drop-down menu. This information should be
    provided by your network administrator.
    TIP: Most keys use Key Index 1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

wbailey wrote:
    Im trying to set up a wireless connection at home...

I thought it would be simple enough, but Im at it an for 2 hours now.

I ran the disk, and the signal is there, but It wont connect. when I try to connect, it keeps asking me for a key. (not sure what they want)

Has anyone got any ideas?

Did you setup a password prior to this message?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

A key is a string of characters, so a combination of numbers and / or letters. It can be predefined by your wireless device, or you can set it up yourself. Check the section about security in your manual to see how to set up your key.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

the key is the the encryption key and the index is where the key is stored so you can have a number of encrytion keys. There shouldn't be a problem really but try set the same key for each index (happens automatically for some routers).

you are using the same key on your machine's wirelss card aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

Did you setup a password prior to this message?

No, I just followed the instructions straight through.
    A key is a string of characters, so a combination of numbers and / or letters. It can be predefined by your wireless device, or you can set it up yourself. Check the section about security in your manual to see how to set up your key.

I checked the security section, but it just says that the key "should be
    provided by your network administrator"
    the key is the the encryption key and the index is where the key is stored so you can have a number of encrytion keys. There shouldn't be a problem really but try set the same key for each index (happens automatically for some routers).

How do I find/set the key?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Get a pc hard-wired into the wireless router, go to 192.168.0.1 in your web-browser and find out in the routers home menu what the wireless key is.

• Advertisement

if you're the one setting up the network then you're the "network administrator"
    on the router interface enter in any give phrase for the encryption key. It will generate a hexadecimal code for you (or at least it should do if the router is any good). Otherwise you'll mhave to just make up some hexadecimal (any digits from 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,a,b,c,d,e,f) code yourself. The number of digits used depends on your security level (64 bit or 128 bit wep I presume) Use that code for the encryption key on your machine's wireless network connection

Thanks for the swift replies. I got past the key part,

But I'm now faced with yet another problem...

When I click on the icon in the bottom right of the screen, even though the signal strength is high, it still wont connect.

The 'Connection Status' says Acquiring network address

When I click on the 'more information' box, it says:

You might not be able to access the Internet or some other network resources. This problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer

When I try to repair the connection, it fails, and says "Cannot renew IP address"

sounds like you haven't set the encrytion key for your machine's wireless network. Just to clarify. the key needs to be set both on your router and on you computer/laptop.If you have done that and it still doesn't work, it may be that the router is set to accept only mac addresses set on a list. Before you go down that road though, recheck the keys first

sounds like you haven't set the encrytion key for your machine's wireless network. Just to clarify. the key needs to be set both on your router and on you computer/laptop

Sorry, but I'm pretty lost here. I'm not brilliant with computers (as you may have guessed!)

What exactly is the router?
    How do I set the key on the router?
    How do I set the key on the computer?

Thanks.

wbailey wrote:
    Sorry, but I'm pretty lost here. I'm not brilliant with computers (as you may have guessed!)

What exactly is the router?
    How do I set the key on the router?
    How do I set the key on the computer?

Thanks.

The router is the little box thing that is your network (see the image you attched in your first post... the little box with aerials above the exit button)

To set the key on your router, you access it through it's interface ( like a webpage shown in the image you attached). Try 192.168.0.1 on your web browser and fill in the key

To set the key on your computer, you need to select the wireless connection and select properties (right click the icon on the bottom right of your screen). Once in there you should be able to find a field to enter in an encryption key. Once you do this save your setting and the computer should automatically connect to the network.

• Advertisement
Advertisement