Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good quality peppermill?

• 26-10-2006 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I'm sick of crappy peppermills. The two most common problems I encounter are (1) falling apart mid-grind ;) and showering half-milled peppercorns everywhere or (2) gradual wearing down of the mechanism, with ever-finer particles of pepper until eventually nothing at all is dispensed.
    I've tried a few fancy mills from department stores and the Schwarz ones you buy pre-filled with pepper in the supermarket but none of them seem to be very durable. If anything, the Schwarz ones are slightly better than the department store ones.
    So... does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality, durable peppermill?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Remember it's the peppermill mechanism that's important, not the mill itself, so always turn it upside down and try to see who makes the mechanism. Personally I have a Peugeot (and yes, it does appear to be the same company!) mill that I've had for years and am very happy with. I do ocasionally take it apart, and give the teeth on the wheel a bit of a touch up with a diamond hone which sems to make a bit of a difference, but otherwise it's pretty maintenance free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Good call Alun.

Peugeot - and it is the same company - make what are probably the best mills going. Expensive, but should last a lifetime unless you abuse your mills.

Alternately, get a mortar and pestle and do it the hard way ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Thanks.
    Peugeot it is, then. I'm going to France soon so I'm sure I'll be able to source one there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Before you go to France, you could try TKMaxx there's usually a selection of good quality pepper and salt mills there at half the normal retail price. There's lots of other kitchen items too; from bakeware to pots and pans to knives and handy kitchen accessories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have the same problem - I want a metal grinder in my mill, not plastic, but I seem to get ones that do one-size grinding and that's it. My parents have a mill that's so old that the wood on the top and the central section has become shiny with twisting, and I'm not sure if theirs has a Peugeot grinding mechanism but they've had it for decades, and it still does both fine and coarse grind perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I have the same problem - I want a metal grinder in my mill, not plastic,

Ceramic for me.

<edit to avoid confusion>

I don't think Peugeot make ceramic-based mills. But a ceramic grinder is what I'd like to get eventually.

</edit>

Advertisement