Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put your Work in Progress Rigs here

• 26-10-2006 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Just thought i'd set up a thread for people to post their work in progress rigs here, (specs and plans etc) and what they have so far and what is on order.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

My bank Has just offered me 3500£. And what im looking for is some suggestions. I will be keeping my gfx card, As i wanna wait to see what dx10 cards are like.

But everything else will be new.

The only requirements are:

Mobo has to be kentsfield ready
    Mobo has to be overclockable.
    Must have a 20" + widescreen.
    has a raptor X
    Was thinking of a MM duality case, but not sure.
    Nothing higher then a e6600

Throw some suggestions up in the air for me lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

My next project is a phase change cooled rig

Vapochill PE - have it
    Dfi Infinity mobo - coming soon
    6600 cpu - shipped
    2x 7950 gx2's - shipped
    2 gig DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5 TwinX ram - shipped
    700 watt ocz psu - shipped
    xfi fatality fps - shipped
    Dell 2407wfp 24" tft - shipped

cant wait to get this built :)

your getting the mobo off pog arnt ya ?

just to let ya know his abit arrived today, And the infinity is out. So you will have it soon :D

anti wrote:
    your getting the mobo off pog arnt ya ?

just to let ya know his abit arrived today, And the infinity is out. So you will have it soon :D

yeh im getting it tonight all going well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Plan on building a 500mhz p3 out of scraps soon...oh the poor life of a student. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

E6600 - Bought(adverts)
    Abit aw9 max - Shipped(Komplett)
    2 gig Geil ram - Bought(adverts)
    More high spec w'c parts - On the way(When I get around to pestering UncleRosco againn.
    Custom build phase change, in design and talks with builder. I want to fit both the triple rad, dual pump wc loop in with the phase to 1 side.
    Possible waterchiller on the wc loop :) .

Sticking with the x1800xt 512, does me fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

im not exactly sure what my finished computer will be..because i aint getting it till next january and by then things could change alot so as of right now..i am hoping to have something like this..

Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 DDR2, 2048MB
    Gigabyte 3D Aurora GZ-FSCA1-AN Silver Aluminium Body
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4, P965, Socket-775, Firewire, ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan
    NEC DVD±recorder AD-7173 IDE Silver OEM Duallayer,LabelFlash,Multirecorder
    OCZ Technology Powersupply ATX/EPS 700W,
    Samsung 20" LCD Syncmaster 205BW TCO03, Silver, 1600x1050, 6ms,
    Sapphire Radeon X1950XTX 512MB GDDR4,
    Western Digital Raptor 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM
    Zalman CNPS9500LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler,

and then in february when funds sart to build up again..get
    raptor external hardrive,
    5.1 speakers,
    logitech g15 keyboard
    fatality mouse (already have)
    and a dlink wireless router and usb adapter

cant wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Next planned machine:

Modified LianLi V2000 (bought off Adverts)

I've no idea of the rest so far. I may well jump on the bandwagon and go with a Core2Duo based system, but I'm such an AMD fanboy that I'm reluctant.
    However if a bargain or two was to come my way I may be tempted.
    Probably be aircoooled although I have a huge Alphacool triple rad and res from an old project which needs using or selling.

Taster pics:

pict00010001ok5.jpg

pict00020002se6.jpg

I've already fitted fine mesh panels to the window cutouts and polished much of the interior. I have started planning the wire management and will be going all SATA to keep it nice and tidy. SATA DVDRW on its way already.

So if anyone has a Core2Duo chip and board they are bored of then drop me a line :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

my new system, going together tomorrow at midlans :)

Core 2 duo - e6600
    MSI P965 mobo
    1gb corsair ram
    im using my nvidia GeForce 6700XL until dx10 cards
    Turbine gaming case

pic:323394.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

How i wish i was back in work.... U eat a tasty chocolate doughnut n what happens... U spend 6 months off work!!!!! Damn that sweet sweet pastry!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Male model?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

lol :D

just picked up the mobo today :D
    so now i just have to wait until all the parts come in :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

unklerosco wrote:
    How i wish i was back in work.... U eat a tasty chocolate doughnut n what happens... U spend 6 months off work!!!!! Damn that sweet sweet pastry!!!
    SyxPak wrote:
    Male model?

good 1 but i dont think this is a laughing matter didint you suffer from a hart attack or strock.

Ticker trouble... Man u gotta laugh, otherwise it just sucks. Anyways, just found out im owed some moneys so a new rig might just be on the way....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

hopeful wrote:
    Next planned machine:

Modified LianLi V2000 (bought off Adverts)

I've no idea of the rest so far. I may well jump on the bandwagon and go with a Core2Duo based system, but I'm such an AMD fanboy that I'm reluctant.
    However if a bargain or two was to come my way I may be tempted.
    Probably be aircoooled although I have a huge Alphacool triple rad and res from an old project which needs using or selling.

Taster pics:

I've already fitted fine mesh panels to the window cutouts and polished much of the interior. I have started planning the wire management and will be going all SATA to keep it nice and tidy. SATA DVDRW on its way already.

So if anyone has a Core2Duo chip and board they are bored of then drop me a line :D
    Aw, I miss that case :)
    SO sexy. I'm very glad a good modder got a hold of it - lots of potential there :)

Im gonna be ordering my conroe rig next week. What i need is some advise on a fresh looking case and the top performing ram and conroe/kentsfield board money can buy. i was looking at the dominator ram, But is it any good. lots of mixed reviews. I was thinking of using my antec p180 but id rather something similar, with psu and hdds down the bottom. Just ahh i dunno. a bit flasher looking. Any ideas chaps >?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

IgsTer wrote:
    im not exactly sure what my finished computer will be..because i aint getting it till next january and by then things could change alot so as of right now..i am hoping to have something like this..

Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 DDR2, 2048MB
    Gigabyte 3D Aurora GZ-FSCA1-AN Silver Aluminium Body
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4, P965, Socket-775, Firewire, ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan
    NEC DVD±recorder AD-7173 IDE Silver OEM Duallayer,LabelFlash,Multirecorder
    OCZ Technology Powersupply ATX/EPS 700W,
    Samsung 20" LCD Syncmaster 205BW TCO03, Silver, 1600x1050, 6ms,
    Sapphire Radeon X1950XTX 512MB GDDR4,
    Western Digital Raptor 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM
    Zalman CNPS9500LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler,

and then in february when funds sart to build up again..get
    raptor external hardrive,
    5.1 speakers,
    logitech g15 keyboard
    fatality mouse (already have)
    and a dlink wireless router and usb adapter

cant wait :D

hey are you getting a cheap mobo get a good 1.like the new abit or a asus board.

WizZard wrote:
    Aw, I miss that case :)
    SO sexy. I'm very glad a good modder got a hold of it - lots of potential there :)

Just watch me totally destroy it now :D

Still deciding whether to watercool or not...I think if the triple rad will fit in the top of the case that's the way I'll go....shame to let all that space go to waste. I'll keep you up to date with the destruction..I mean modding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

It will - you just lose the PCI slots on the motherboard (I've measured and remeasured that :p)
    Anyway, I'll just sit back and watch the glory unfold :D

• Advertisement

WizZard wrote:
    It will - you just lose the PCI slots on the motherboard (I've measured and remeasured that :p)
    Anyway, I'll just sit back and watch the glory unfold :D

Damn..I need 2 PCi slots to be free...I'll have to measure again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

My first build (Awwwwwwwwww)

E6600 - Bought from adverts
    Asus P5B dlx wifi - shipped pixmania (twas cheap)
    Fortron 500w PSU - shipped
    256mb 6800gt - Bought from adverts till DX10
    250gb Sata2 - shipped
    Blitz Ninja case - only cost 20 buck from adverts :)
    ____
    On its way from OCUK:
    2gb Geil 800mhz 4-4-4-12
    XP Home (i felt generous)

un-necessary extra's :D
    Speedlink medusas |On their
    Logitech g5 | Way

As for monitor im not sure. anyone have any suggestions? using a crt for now :D. looking for something around 19+ at a reasonable price

hopeful wrote:
    Damn..I need 2 PCi slots to be free...I'll have to measure again!

What about the bottom of the case.. U could fit it so that it takes in air from the side panels.. U'll need to remove the HD racks n flip them around tho..

unklerosco wrote:
    What about the bottom of the case.. U could fit it so that it takes in air from the side panels.. U'll need to remove the HD racks n flip them around tho..

Hmm..tis a thought. Will have to measure tonight but I have a feeling that even with the drives flipped round the rad will be too thick,

well all my stuff is shipped, now i just need to sell my main rig to get back some of the costs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm... what is the really stupid thing is that I initially built my original system as I wanted to spend more time gaming and not having to worry about upgrading my hardware all the time with each new game release.

Now I find I have no time to play any of these games as i'm constantly reading up about the best overclockers, the best coolers, where to get them, cheap ebay auctions, adverts, posting and reading forums... I always have at least 1 thing in the post waiting to be delivered.

I'm presently building a cheap AM2 HTPC/PC for my parents 26" Bravia. I'm not really changing my spec at the moment, but i've got ordered a Zalman VF900 for my vga, a P180b case, a Zalman fan controller.

I'm going to be getting some high cfm delta fans to test how good the P180 is at noise reduction :D and i'm still between minds as to which air cooler to get for my system. I seriously want to get the Tuniq Tower on recommendations online and from Pog but it doesn't look like the space in the middle will fit the delta fans, whereas I could go for the dearer Scythe Infinity which has the ability to mount them on either side... although for my s939 it can only be positioned so that it blows south to north rather than east to west which would be the normal airflow of my system. Maybe i'll just stick with the stock Tuniq fan and make a duct or something with the delta fans?

just ordered a 150gig raptor aswell for the new system and a load of papst fans :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Hopin to join in on the action soon enough....no exact specs as such...just a general Idea of how Im gonna proceed. Thinkin along the lines of...

E6600,
    680i based mobo,
    7900/50 gfx,
    2 Gb Ram,
    2 Baracuda 320 gb,
    Seasonic 600w,
    Htpc case (Still wondering about this one)
    Vapochill micro cooler,
    and hopefully some change for some nice peripherals.

This is all very up in the air tho, cos Im not sure how much or when Ill make the move. I'll gonna be askin some strange questions soon :D

Update on the LianLi v2000

unklerosco forced me to buy his X1900 waterblock and 'bling' hard drive cooler so I guess it's going to be watercooled.

And there was me hoping for a simple build :D

• Advertisement

Always the way mate :)

Advertisement