Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superb clip of MJ and JB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

cool clip, two legends, no hope of that ever happening again!!!

must be pre-thriller jacko cos theres no way he could have sat in a crowd without causing a riot after he dropped that album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The same guy has the full clip (worse quality) and Prince actually got up after MJ. As much as I rate him, I think he tried too hard to upstage the others. Didn't know if he wanted to sing, play guitar and dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I would say early 80s.. Prince had that classic wet microphone head in the full clip. :D

must be pre-thriller jacko cos theres no way he could have sat in a crowd without causing a riot after he dropped that album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

It's actually a post thriller clip. The first time Mike did the moonwalk was Motown 25 which was in 1983. Thriller was realeased in December 1982. My guess is that that clip would be from some time in late 1983 or early 1984.

The clip is fantastic. That's what's so great about MJ, he's so great at improvising. His ad libs on his songs are some of the best. Seeing two legends like that on stage at once, and then having Prince come on stage must have been amazing if you were there to witness it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 marlowe

Here's the Prince version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c7WnhNVREk

I think what Prince does is the best onstage "strutting" solo ever. Obviously, the guy has many amazing talents. I think this proves he can completely hold the stage by doing pretty much nothing.

I've noticed on youtube recently that stuff is getting taken down due to copyright. There used to be loads of great James Brown stuff that's now gone.

I found this Sly + Family Stone clip from 69. One of the best performances I've ever seen (even tho sound + picture quality is crap):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrt2RAnOyBo

Just check out the elastic legs on Freddy Stone + Larry Graham. No band has ever got close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

That's priceless footage from a James Brown concert in September 1983, although it's generally considered to one of Prince's more infamous and best forgotten moments by his fans. I actually thought he looked really cool up there albeit slightly coked up, but that was probably just Prince being weird - nothing to actually suggest he was ever taking drugs. I like that thing he did with the mic.

From Uptown's The Vault - The Definitive Guide to the Musical World of Prince:
    Prince attends a James Brown concert at the Beverly Hills theatre in Beverly Hills. Michael Jackson guested onstage and, having noticed Prince in the audience, he whispered in Brown's ear that he should be called onstage. Somewhat reluctantly, Prince jumped on Chick Hunstberry's shoulders and was delivered to the foot of the stage by the bodyguard. After playing guitar and dancing a bit, Prince leaned on the prop streetlamp, which fell over as it had not been secured to the stage. He left the concert immediately thereafter, feeling embarrassed by his clumsiness and less than significant impact.

Advertisement