Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value for money racer!

Options
  • 26-10-2006 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi fellow cyclists,

I'm thinking about buying a racer bike, just to do some leisurely cycling and keep fit. My price range is <€500 and I was wondering what make and model people would recommend. So far the bike that has tempted me most is the Raleigh Airlite which I saw advertised for €499.

all the best, :) goreysquirrel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm thinking about buying a racer bike, just to do some leisurely cycling and keep fit.
    If you value comfort, bike strength, durability, safety etc over speed then get a hybrid or mountain bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 goreysquirrel

oh yeah i forgot to say the model of the Raleight Airlite, it was

Raleigh AirLite 200 Road Racer Bike
    http://www.lakelandbikes.co.uk/product358/product_info.html

And in response to the suggestion for the tourer, I think I'd like to go for a racer as I want cover longer distances and maybe do a few charity cycles. I have peugeot mountain bike that I use for day to day and the odd longer cycle at the weekend. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 goreysquirrel

A friend also said that the price of bikes drops in january with the christmas rush over. Has anyone seen this in reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A friend also said that the price of bikes drops in january with the christmas rush over. Has anyone seen this in reality?
    definitely, bikes are a big christmas item, also you can get "last years model" for cheaper too, that goes for any time of year really, but probably a bit more in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

He suggested a hybrid or MTB, not a tourer... but for longer distance you might be better off with a tourer - more comfortable position, better tyres for vibration damping. Buy and Sell might be good come the end of January.

If your heart is set on a roadbike maybe these will suit your budget:

Giant OCR 4
    Dawes Comp Giro 300
    Bianchi Pista
    Claud Butler Milano
    Trek 1000

If you can get a 2006 model you might be lucky and get a bargain. Ring around the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

rubadub wrote:
    If you value comfort, bike strength, durability, safety etc over speed then get a hybrid or mountain bike.

Not sure I agree with you on all those points.

I've riden a mountain bike extensively and recently switched to a road bike. I can't say that either is neccessarily safer or more comfortable than the other on the road. They both have their strong points and week points, but overall I prefer the road bike for the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

rubadub wrote:
    definitely, bikes are a big christmas item, also you can get "last years model" for cheaper too, that goes for any time of year really, but probably a bit more in the new year.

New ranges are launched and hit the shops in early October, just after the bike bike expos and in time for the new cycling season. Doesn't work off the calendar year.

Advertisement