Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E36 M3 vs E36 ???

Options
  • 26-10-2006 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

Hopefully after Xmas things will get sorted and I'll be able to move up again. Any opinions as to whether I could buy an a '97/'98 E36 M3 Evo Saloon with about 70-80k on the clock (in the UK) and use it as a daily drive 3-4 days a week (50 mile roundtrip commute).
    Some people say the VANOS issue is over-rated, others have suffered (expensively), so I suppose it's the same-ish as the Nikasil prob. Wouldn't be able to afford big bills above normal maint next year...
    Alternatively I can get a post-Nikasil, mint, very high spec (factory m-tec, individual etc.) '99 328i Convertible, which I feel would probably cost less in bills. (forget about insurance, and VRT is more-or-less the same for either). Heart says M3, head 328i...

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

have a read through this... thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Dont mean to hijack this thread, but I figured its better than starting a new one...

I'm looking at E36 M3's here in the US and the are 60BHP shy of their european counterparts. Does anyone know if there are fundamental mechanical differences or is it simply an ECU difference.

Also, a "things to look out for when buying an E36 M3" list would be fab too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Lack of traction control would be a big turn-off for me. Check out www.bmw-driver.net/forum - the guys there really know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

kbannon wrote:

Thanks for that. Sickening as it is! Although the M3 is all about the chassis, I hope. I can live without traction control though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Does anyone here know anyone that has had/has an M3 that had Vanos issues? Just trying to get a handle on it, although the way I read the thread posted by kbannon indicates it's not worth going for the M3 for the day to day difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I know of people who've had the VANOS issue, one guy on a forum I use had it fail three times - BMW stopped fixing these under warranty at the start of last year, but may make a goodwill gesture payment towards the costs (you'll have to pay the full amount first, circa €4K I think)

If you buy one that is healthy, replacing the VANOS filter regularly enough will keep it that way (filter only costs a tenner or so).

Day to day, I'm not sure there'd be much of a difference between an M3 and a 316i - theres not exactly loads of opportunities to give it a blast. Its obviously a quicker car than the rest of the 3 series range, I have a 328ci myself and am perfectly happy with the performance to be honest. (not that that would stop me supercharging it :D)

My money would be going on a late 328i Sports, but I'd take plenty of drives in both before splashing out the cash in case you regret it. Having driven both myself, I'd say the difference between them is completely over-estimated - at legal speeds anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hartytkd

Dont mean to hijack this thread, but I figured its better than starting a new one...

I'm looking at E36 M3's here in the US and the are 60BHP shy of their european counterparts. Does anyone know if there are fundamental mechanical differences or is it simply an ECU difference.

I owned one of those when I lived in the US. The US M3 has a slightly different engine spec that means it has less power at high revs, but comparable power at lower revs to the european M3. You won't feel short changed but the car feels like it can handle another 100hp easily (I'm told the Euro M3 feels the same way). There's no vanos issues with this engine AFAIK as it is quite similar to the smaller 2.5 litre.

Make sure you get one with a/c and leather, also try and get the 3.2 version (1997 onwards) as it has some improvements over the old 3.0.

It's a pretty solid car and can handle fairly high miles with no problems, but the same stuff applies when looking at other E36 six cylinders. Problems inlcude tendancies for the alloy wheels to be warped and I had a few problems with mine such as the a/c packing in and an airbag sensor going. Service costs are comparable to the 325i.

There's a lot of helpful websites around if you do a google search.

Good luck,
    GH

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

328 for me, still very quick car and id say half the running costs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

@Gatser - its simple really, buy the M3. It is the better of the 2. I've owned mine for nearly 2 years now (95 M3), and its been a joy to own, only issue was the window washer pump went on it (replacement was €12).

• Advertisement
Advertisement