Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

problem changing a flat tire

Options
  • 26-10-2006 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

hi there , i woke up this morning to find that my van had a flat tire so i tried to change it i loosened the 4 nuts jacked it up and then took of all 4 nuts.
    the bloody thing wouldnt budge i didnt have time this morning to try so i came home just now and got a hammer at it no luck the thing just wont budge.
    its the back tire has anyone encountered this before the tire is a good one but hasnt been changed in god knows how long is it just rusted on, i just spent the last half hour tryin to pull it off, some advice would be appreciated
    thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Soak it in WD40 or some easing oil.

Cal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You could loosen the nuts **slightly** and then move the car forwards and backwards a few metres to un-sieze the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

kbannon wrote:
    You could loosen the nuts **slightly** and then move the car forwards and backwards a few metres to un-sieze the wheel.

......yep best method. Loosen them about 2 turn each !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Those are both excellent suggestions.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you've tried rocking the well back and forth (not too hard, don't want the car falling off the jack), then as they said, put the nuts back on loosely, and even just try lowering the jack till the weight of the car is back on the wheel for a minute, then back up again.

Failing that, put a spare wheel under car (just in case) and start tapping inside of wheel with lump hammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

the bloody thing wouldnt budge i didnt have time this morning to try so i came home just now and got a hammer at it no luck the thing just wont budge.
    i

Use a bigger hammer. Seriously. If the wheels are not alloy a few gentle taps of a sledge should move it. Just don't hit the tyre directly. Use a bit of plywood in between.

The method of moving the van forwards and back might not work if there is a flange around the hub, but worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

maidhc wrote:
    The method of moving the van forwards and back might not work if there is a flange around the hub, but worth trying.

Heh, heh... you said "flange"...

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭charlie@w.d

hi thanks for all your replies i got some wd 40 soaked it with that, then put on the nuts and drove the van a meter or 2 backwards and forwards, it still didnt loosen the tire that i could just pull it off
    so i got a big sledge and gave it a few bangs on the inside of the wheel it eventually came loose, id say all the wd40 and the rockin and the bangin made it come loose so thanks for the help, only for ye id still be out there cursing and swearing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A tip to stop this happening next time you get a flat - take off your wheels one by one, wire brush the hub and wheel where they will contact each other and apply a thin smear of copper grease to the hub. Don't let grease anywhere near the brake disc. The grease should stop/slow the corrosion which sticks the hub and wheel together. This may soudn like a PITA but you'll be thankful you did this when you get a puncture on a cold wet night in the middle of nowhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭charlie@w.d

thanks brian, i was thinkin thank god i didnt get a puncture somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, so in future i will do what u say to avoid this situation. thanks again

• Advertisement

Just on the copper grease, use very little of it, just a thin film. Also don't put any on the wheel nut/bolt threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

BrianD3 wrote:
    Just on the copper grease, use very little of it, just a thin film. Also don't put any on the wheel nut/bolt threads

I do as you already indicated. + putting some ont eh lugnut threads. Just be sure to not overtighten them. I have been doing this for well over 10 years on several vehicles and yet to notice any problem. other than the grease itself causing some galvanic corrosion between a steel hub and aluminium wheels.

You can also prevent your brake disk/hub rusting to the bearing hub by placing a very thin film of same between the metal parts that touch.
    Cause if your wheel is rusted on, your disk/hub is also rusted in place.

As for getting the other 3 which are probably also rusted loose. loosen the nuts and retighten to finger tight, then drive a few feet with a turn, yet to fail where tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Just hope none of the WD40 got into the brake drum.... or on the disc, whichever you have....

Fr Dougal wrote:
    Just hope none of the WD40 got into the brake drum.... or on the disc, whichever you have....
    I reckon if WD40 did get onto a frction surface it'd get burnt off very quickly and do no harm. If it were a heavy heat resistant grease that he got onto it might be more of a problem.

I got engine oil all over a brake disc once - the oil leaked out of the crank pulley seal and was sprayed over everything in the vicinity. Made a mess but I noticed no deterioration in braking and the brakes cleaned themselves up very quickly after the leak was fixed. Still, getting any sort of oil or grease on braking surfaces should be avoided if possible :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

dubstub wrote:

dunno bout them but I'm lmao!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

dubstub wrote:

I suspect I am missing something.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle