Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poker

• 26-10-2006 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

was anyone at that poker night in sports bar last night??? twas my first out here in UL and, to be honest, i thought it was very badly organised!!! (just to clarify, it was not run by the UL poker soc). only one of the so-called 'organisers' actually knew what he was doing

as far as i could see, all it was was a money racket for the soc in Q!! - you know who you are...

does anyone know of any house games going around?? myself and a mate are looking to fall in on a few, most of the people from last year are long gone at this stage :-( if so, gimme a shout

(the way we usuall play is either a fiver or tenner in; freezeout; 2nd gets his money back, winner takes the rest)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

dK1NG wrote:
    as far as i could see, all it was was a money racket for the soc in Q!! - you know who you are...
    I don't know who they are (who are they?, it'll save me the hassle of finding out) but as a member of the current societies exec and someone who occasionally writes for de fortnightly paper, I'm always interested in finding nosey things out.

Do you mean it came across as a fundraiser? (that was probably the idea in the first place) Or were they running an unfair game or something? Or was it just run really badly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

They are starting to run them regularly on a monday night in Groody bar tis well run. Ill get back to ye on when the next night is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

sceptre wrote:
    Do you mean it came across as a fundraiser? (that was probably the idea in the first place) Or were they running an unfair game or something? Or was it just run really badly?

poorly run, in that only one 'organiser' knew what he was doing, but apart from that no complaints about the set-up.

yeah, twas a fundraiser alright, but they took it a bit far imo. The 'pot' was almost €1500, but only about €500-600 of that was paid out, the soc took the rest:eek:
    cooperguy wrote:
    They are starting to run them regularly on a monday night in Groody bar tis well run. Ill get back to ye on when the next night is

dunno for sure, but i was told at the above game that the poker soc organises a game in sportsbar every monday, but havent heard much else. was told a few wks ago that the groody doesnt get much of a turn-out, this still the case??

i'm going cold turkey at this stage, :confused: i need my fix!! :D

dK1NG wrote:
    poorly run, in that only one 'organiser' knew what he was doing, but apart from that no complaints about the set-up.

yeah, twas a fundraiser alright, but they took it a bit far imo. The 'pot' was almost €1500, but only about €500-600 of that was paid out, the soc took the rest:eek:

dunno for sure, but i was told at the above game that the poker soc organises a game in sportsbar every monday, but havent heard much else. was told a few wks ago that the groody doesnt get much of a turn-out, this still the case??

i'm going cold turkey at this stage, :confused: i need my fix!! :D
    There was 30 something at it last week. So its not too bad.

cooperguy wrote:
    There was 30 something at it last week. So its not too bad.

cool, might give it a shot next mon.
    is it a freezout or are re-buys allowed?

• Advertisement

Ok its on every monday from now on upstairs in Groody Bar at 8pm. €10 in and 1 €10 buy-back. 100% pot. I was at it last monday, top 5 were paid top prize €200. That was lower than usual because of the bank-holiday the week before and it wasnt on. The time before that there was over 60 people there top prize of €300 and top 6 were paid. So the prize money is fairly good

So was anybody down at groody tonight, there was a load of new people there I thought my message might have spread:D On the down side I played terrible and got knocked out earlier then Iv ever been before so much bigger pot had no effect on me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ULPOKERSOCIETY

Call this stirring up an old wound, but to clarify the supposed Money Racketeering. The night that you must have attended the poker was the 22nd??? That night a combined take-in of all the cash was €780 , €300 of that went to The UL Volley Ball Club, this is a general practice of the Poker Society as we are trying to help other Clubs and Socs and also we aren't actually allowed profit from our game nights. Other clubs and socs book a night where they would take a sum of the take-in in return they would advertise for the event around campus etc (Posters flyers etc etc to promote the poker night and that it was in Aid of their Club/Soc) The Volley Ball Club had incidentally booked that night and the turnout had been smaller than expected. Normally we hit the €1000 and taking the €300ish fundraised cash still leave a nice pot of €700 for the top finishers, as i was not around last year to know if it was common practice then, i still was told that last year the Poker Soc raised over €4k for other clubs and socs. Basically we aren't money racketeering and we aren't attempting to suck every students wallets dry and filling our own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i havnt been to a poker night here yet so im open to correction but i was told that the buy ins go to prize pot and ALL the rebuys go to the soc

if thats the case its a disgrace tbh it should be however much in(which goes to the pot) + a buy in fee and the buy in fee goes to the socs then all the rebuys go to the pot as well

all the universities in dublin have poker socs and they run very successful nights within the rules of having a soc that are fair for everyone involved

I was at a poker soc night last year and it was very badly ran (The Groody tournaments arnt on any more so its not that im trying to promote that). The topups were twice the amount that you start out with so no matter how good or bad you were doing you had no choice but to top up at the break. That is RIDICULES. The organization in general was crap aswell. When I was playing in Groody last year alot of the guys there thought the same and would never go up there.

What makes it worse is since the Groody bar tournaments arnt being organized anymore I have nowhere at all to play cause I cant go back to that place!

• Advertisement

Call this stirring up an old wound, but to clarify the supposed Money Racketeering. The night that you must have attended the poker was the 22nd??? That night a combined take-in of all the cash was €780 , €300 of that went to The UL Volley Ball Club, this is a general practice of the Poker Society as we are trying to help other Clubs and Socs and also we aren't actually allowed profit from our game nights. Other clubs and socs book a night where they would take a sum of the take-in in return they would advertise for the event around campus etc (Posters flyers etc etc to promote the poker night and that it was in Aid of their Club/Soc) The Volley Ball Club had incidentally booked that night and the turnout had been smaller than expected. Normally we hit the €1000 and taking the €300ish fundraised cash still leave a nice pot of €700 for the top finishers, as i was not around last year to know if it was common practice then, i still was told that last year the Poker Soc raised over €4k for other clubs and socs. Basically we aren't money racketeering and we aren't attempting to suck every students wallets dry and filling our own.

Just to clarify (and this is you who bumped this thread, not me!), that it was not organised for or by the Volley Ball Club (twas for a diff soc altogether!), the pot was not €780 as you said (I stand by the figures in the OP), and the turnout was not small.

I agree with Peak Output's post above, and from what I ahve heard poker socs in Dublin have hte right idea. The Soc is there for the members etc etc, not to make money for itself, or for other socs. You say that you are not allowed make a profit, well then pay out a 100% prize pool, reg would cover any costs incurred!

I had PMed you earlier re payout, structure, turnout etc, having seen a poster advertising a game next week (again, on behalf of some other club). I was considering giving the Poker Soc another chance, but dont think I shall bother if things havent changed.

Food for thought - you have the contact details (I'm presuming anyway, seeing as the intervarsity aint too far away) of Poker Socs in Dublin, UCC and elsewhere. Why not contact them to get some ideas on best practice in running a student poker soc? I havent played any student games in Dublin, but have only heard good things (for the most part) - the UCD and DIT threads in teh poker section testify to how well those particular socs organise themselves!

Lastly, I dont want to come across as slagging you off. I realise that you are trying to undo the mistakes of past committee members, bad rep etc, and that is a good thing. Hope it works out, but I shall stay away until I hear that significant progress has been made in changing the soc around!

Good day.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Badly miss the groody myself dk1ng.
    Was a great nights entertainment for €20.

Advertisement